Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peterson Stroboclip HD Tuner - REVIEW

Default Peterson Stroboclip HD Tuner - REVIEW

Not a ukulele review this weekend, rather a ukulele accessory.

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/01/...hd-review.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Looks nice, and I am quite tempted by the sweetened tunings. But there are a number of complaints on Amazon about the arrangements of the buttons, and how it can difficult to access the center power button in the dark without hitting the wrong button and changing the mode and so forth. Some of those criticisms are over a couple of years old now - is this still an issue with the new model?
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

The Peterson Stroboclip HD tuner is my favorite tuner. Yes, the buttons are small - but they are easily operated. I like the sweetened tunings and have found it to be my most accurate and easy to use tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by besley View Post
    Looks nice, and I am quite tempted by the sweetened tunings. But there are a number of complaints on Amazon about the arrangements of the buttons, and how it can difficult to access the center power button in the dark without hitting the wrong button and changing the mode and so forth. Some of those criticisms are over a couple of years old now - is this still an issue with the new model?
    I bought a Peterson Stroboclip HD about a month ago and I’m very happy with it. The center power button sits higher than the two adjacent buttons, so it's quite easy to identify, even just by feel alone.
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Was certainly fiddly on the old version. This one not so much. Buttons are quite tactile and obvious

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

It seems having a nice display and easy to find find the tuning. However I am very skeptical to any sweetened tunings, especially when concerned ukuleles with their nylon strings, what with the uncompensated saddles and nut faults. Just too much automation that wont't work so well in many instruments.

So to me a stable needle display tuner, able to show manual compensation much easier than with a strobe tuner. Even if the cents off are not really shown. My preference.

To be honest, I kind of agree with you on ukuleles - but the 50 tunings cover FAR more than ukes. Can see it being really helpful for things like Buzz Feiten tunings and lap steels. I know brass players too who use strobes for exactly their ablity to de-tune, or tune up, micro amounts on notes.

The trouble with needle tuners in clip on form is that the needle itself is so thick in the LCD (due to the limitations of the LCD) that they cannot be as accurate as this tuner. Sure an analogue needle tuner like I used to use with guitar 30 years back was very accurate. But they were mechanical and even then the mechanical strobes would beat them for the same reason. Very different to clip on needles though.

Just tested my Unitune clip with DaTuner android app. When unitune, not exactly a standard needle display but some colors added, showed my 4 strings were in perfect tune, then I was not more than about maybe 2.5 cents off in them of what the mic tuner showed. Our hearing perception is about 5 cents, not taken in account the difference tone help with our strings, but in general.

Unitone is certainly over marketed with some stupid inner workings with their advertising about how accurate you can actually tune when it is not so. As you told, some limitations regarding the display.

But what is most important you can tweak your ukulele regarding imperfections much easier than with the strobo mode. Instead wondering how fast things go left or right

Nice review. Peterson makes great products and has been the standard for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Just tested my Unitune clip with DaTuner android app. When unitune, not exactly a standard needle display but some colors added, showed my 4 strings were in perfect tune, then I was not more than about maybe 2.5 cents off in them of what the mic tuner showed. Our hearing perception is about 5 cents, not taken in account the difference tone help with our strings, but in general.

Unitone is certainly over marketed with some stupid inner workings with their advertising about how accurate you can actually tune when it is not so. As you told, some limitations regarding the display.

But what is most important you can tweak your ukulele regarding imperfections much easier than with the strobo mode. Instead wondering how fast things go left or right
    To be honest, people who use strobe tuners (the expensive bench models at least) do so as they are in musical instrument tech jobs. It's for dialling in as close to accurate intonation and setup as can be achieved.

Can you hear those imperceptible differences, no, likely not. But then the clip is only $50 not $1500!

Thread Information