What do you look for. L

Rllink

Reaction score
Lately I've been reading threads and thinking a lot about what I am doing and how I look at ukuleles after almost six years. I was thinking today what is important to me in a ukulele. So I thought that it might be fun to talk about. It seems like a topic that is in line with what we like to discuss here.

First off, I am purpose oriented. Let me say that to me a ukulele is accompaniment and that is always on my mind every ukulele I buy. I'm going to sing when I play it. So number one is sound. But not only does it have to sound good, it has to sound good with my voice and my style. (Some people might say that there isn't a uke made that will make me sound good, but I do my best. I need all the help I can get.) But if there is one thing I've learned, when it comes to sound, a good sounding ukulele doesn't always sound good.

Along with sound is volume. I need volume.

Number two, it has to be set up right. I'm concentrating on a lot of things. It can't be so low that it is touchy. But it has to be low enough to be playable. Not real picky if it falls in there somewhere.

Number three, it has to look interesting, have some character. Like sound, it has to fit in. The look of the ukulele very much affects my mood which will be reflected in everything else. Not enough flash I feel bland and boring, too much and I feel silly.

Going along with looks is price. It has to be expensive enough to meet all of the above, but not so expensive that I worry about it. I can't afford to worry, I do enough of that already. I can find a mid price uke that will work.

That's what I look for in a uke.

Last edited:
In no particular order:

Build quality: It has to be structurally sound...well put together.

Price: If I spend too much on an instrument I worry over it more than I enjoy it.

Sound: I like a variety of different sounds, so just anything that appeals to my ears.

Setup/playability: I play more on something that plays easily for me. I can dial in all that myself, thankfully. It's nice when I get it from somewhere that has already done a good initial setup though.

Look: I like something that appeals to me looks-wise. It doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect, but just have an overall look I like.

Playing melodies, my criteria is 'feel', it has to sound good & feel right in the hands, reasonably loud, with good sustain.
I prefer plain looking instruments, really hate a fancy/blingy uke, it would put me off playing it.
When I try to 'sing' & strum, (not lately), it needs to sound clear chords.
A good setup, with fluorocarbon low G strings.

I tend to think of myself as a soloist, even though I don't have the chops for it. So, I prefer a relatively wide range of notes. Accordingly I opt for 19 frets, cutaway, and preferably a low G string. I don't like the traditional plunky sounds of small ukuleles and I gravitate towards the bigger instruments.

Obviously, many ukuleles would serve that purpose. After all, a ukulele is a ukulele. The big distinction for me is looks. I want no fret markers, I want some unique wood. I like a retro, rectangular headstock with the pegs in the back. And I like the smell of wood and I suppose that means I prefer unlacquered, minimally processed wood.

I find good intonation important. These are things that I would do: Check the octaves, play the Bb chord all up the neck. Do a range of CAGED runs, listen for sustain. I want a good sounding instrument. See if you like it when you play in a dark room or if you close your eyes whilst strumming (or picking if you're a pro). I find that if I enjoy playing an instrument then I'll accept its looks as well after a while. But I can't warm up to a nice looking uke if I don't enjoy playing it.

I would take a clip-on tuner with me to try out a new instrument, even if the strings will be hopeless. When I bought my first ukulele and I didn't know anything about ukes, I was disappointed with strings I didn't like. But now I know that swapping them out can make a huge difference.

Same as Rllink really
1. Tone
2. Volume
3. Playability
4. Looks (fairly plain)
5. Price (solid top, laminate back and sides for me except i plan to own a single all solid instrument at some stage)

I mostly play finger style, so good clarity, note separation and balance are important. I like “bling” if it is tasteful, (I think that the Martin 5k is tasteful). I like the pegs to face rearward and there has to be a rosette and binding. I love the look of Koa, but I find Mahogany to be more forgiving.

Everyone has different "needs." For me, it's the appearance that gets my attention - sometimes. I also like variety. As a result, I have some unusual-looking ukes, like the Peanut, Bonanza Oreo, and Dewdrop, to name just three. I also have sopranissimo through tenor, cigar box, resonator, and banjo uke. I also like quality ukes, of course, but price is always a consideration.

I'm not at all concerned about nut width or the shape of the neck.

Same as Rllink really
1. Tone
2. Volume
3. Playability
4. Looks (fairly plain)
5. Price (solid top, laminate back and sides for me except i plan to own a single all solid instrument at some stage)

Pretty much the same as these, with the addition of a wide nut and/or wide string spacing at the nut.

Like Rolli my performance ukes must sound good with my voice when I am singing overtop of them and be easy playing. But I also fingerpick and play chord melody and need good note separation, clarity and presence. It might not be obvious but those different qualities are not usually found in the same instrument. This is my rationalization for owning many different ukuleles:p

High quality woods with beautiful grain, appearance and craftsmanship are equally important.

Last edited:
I do not try to be analytical with a long list of criteria and overthink uke things. I just go with my gut feeling if I like a uke in the store or when I take the gamble of an online purchase.

Like Rolli my performance ukes must sound good with my voice when I am singing overtop of them and be easy playing. But I also fingerpick and play chord melody and need good note separation, clarity and presence. It might not be obvious but those different qualities are not usually found in the same instrument. This is my rationalization for owning many different ukuleles:p

High quality woods with beautiful grain, appearance and craftsmanship are equally important.

What exactly is presence?

What exactly is presence?

That is what your loved ones give you at Christmas or your Birthday Day:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

To me presence means up front and attention grabbing sound. Maybe the high notes are a bit brighter, more sustain, more overtones. Which is great for solo type work but can clash with vocals sometime.

My I’iwi redwood/walnut is like that. Fabulous full resonant sound with sparkling highs and big sustain. My Koolau spruce/myrtle is mellow and even toned making it a pleasure to sing with.

My list -
1. Playability - Comfortable neck size and shape. If it's not comfortable to hold and play, then sound doesn't matter much.
2. Sound - Good tone. Clarity to at least the 7th fret. Good volume. I'm not crazy about quiet ukuleles. Could be bright or mellow, as long as I like what I hear.
3. Looks - Not real big on bling, but I do like interesting wood and design. I love the interesting body design & appointments of my Moon Bird, and the beautiful wood of my Cocobolo.
4. Finish - I do not like glossy necks. A gloss body is ok, and a semi-gloss neck will work. I much prefer a satin neck.

That is what your loved ones give you at Christmas or your Birthday Day:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

To me presence means up front and attention grabbing sound. Maybe the high notes are a bit brighter, more sustain, more overtones. Which is great for solo type work but can clash with vocals sometime.

My I’iwi redwood/walnut is like that. Fabulous full resonant sound with sparkling highs and big sustain. My Koolau spruce/myrtle is mellow and even toned making it a pleasure to sing with.

Absolutely. There is stage pressence, the whole package. The style, the presentation, the look, it isn't all about just playing a song on a ukulele. The right ukulele can add a lot to it.

I totally agree with those that pointed out volume is important. Dynamic range is predicated on being able to get loud. And I've recently discovered, I don't like a very refined sound.

For me I've recently had a weird experience where I have two banjo ukes. One is the entirely impressive Deering - great note definition, superb finish, nice tone, good projection all in all an impressive instrument. The other is the Gold Tone Little Gem, which is clearly constructed for less than have the money - a solid build, but a little rough around the edges. It is a more brash sound, with less note definition when I play chords, but it really works with the type of music I'm playing. So the Deering may be on the market soon - I wasn't playing it much and the Gold Tone does everything I need.

Top Bottom