Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you look for. L

I do not try to be analytical with a long list of criteria and overthink uke things. I just go with my gut feeling if I like a uke in the store or when I take the gamble of an online purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    Like Rolli my performance ukes must sound good with my voice when I am singing overtop of them and be easy playing. But I also fingerpick and play chord melody and need good note separation, clarity and presence. It might not be obvious but those different qualities are not usually found in the same instrument. This is my rationalization for owning many different ukuleles

High quality woods with beautiful grain, appearance and craftsmanship are equally important.
    What exactly is presence?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    What exactly is presence?
    That is what your loved ones give you at Christmas or your Birthday Day

To me presence means up front and attention grabbing sound. Maybe the high notes are a bit brighter, more sustain, more overtones. Which is great for solo type work but can clash with vocals sometime.

My I’iwi redwood/walnut is like that. Fabulous full resonant sound with sparkling highs and big sustain. My Koolau spruce/myrtle is mellow and even toned making it a pleasure to sing with.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

My list -
    1. Playability - Comfortable neck size and shape. If it's not comfortable to hold and play, then sound doesn't matter much.
    2. Sound - Good tone. Clarity to at least the 7th fret. Good volume. I'm not crazy about quiet ukuleles. Could be bright or mellow, as long as I like what I hear.
    3. Looks - Not real big on bling, but I do like interesting wood and design. I love the interesting body design & appointments of my Moon Bird, and the beautiful wood of my Cocobolo.
    4. Finish - I do not like glossy necks. A gloss body is ok, and a semi-gloss neck will work. I much prefer a satin neck.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    That is what your loved ones give you at Christmas or your Birthday Day

To me presence means up front and attention grabbing sound. Maybe the high notes are a bit brighter, more sustain, more overtones. Which is great for solo type work but can clash with vocals sometime.

My I’iwi redwood/walnut is like that. Fabulous full resonant sound with sparkling highs and big sustain. My Koolau spruce/myrtle is mellow and even toned making it a pleasure to sing with.
    Absolutely. There is stage pressence, the whole package. The style, the presentation, the look, it isn't all about just playing a song on a ukulele. The right ukulele can add a lot to it.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I totally agree with those that pointed out volume is important. Dynamic range is predicated on being able to get loud. And I've recently discovered, I don't like a very refined sound.

For me I've recently had a weird experience where I have two banjo ukes. One is the entirely impressive Deering - great note definition, superb finish, nice tone, good projection all in all an impressive instrument. The other is the Gold Tone Little Gem, which is clearly constructed for less than have the money - a solid build, but a little rough around the edges. It is a more brash sound, with less note definition when I play chords, but it really works with the type of music I'm playing. So the Deering may be on the market soon - I wasn't playing it much and the Gold Tone does everything I need.
    Blackbird Clara
    Concert Flea
    Pono MB
    Deering Goodtime Banjo Uke (concert)
    Gold Tone Little Gem Banjo Uke
    Gold Tone Resouke
    Gold Tone Microbass
    Deering Goodtime Special (5-string banjo)

Buckle Up
    http://ut.zerofatalities.com/

Thread Information