Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Season 414: Coin of the Realm

Ahoy.
    If I had a million dollars I would still play this song

Dinged up my left index finger, doc wrapped it up in a huge splint yesterday, to keep it straight for a week. So my uke options are limited. Wrote this one up last night, and will try it on slide, tuned open A. I've never played slide before, so listen at your own risk! Gonna be on a uke and Seasons vacation, I think.

Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-23-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    John

This is a traditional song and was collected from an old Lead Miner in Teessdale. He was reputed to have said that you could be sacked for singing this song. (I wonder why?...He says sarcastically)
    Lead mining had been carried on in the North of England at least from Roman times. It reached its peak in the mid 19th century then rapidly declined as lead seams were worked out. Until greater mechanisation came in the 19th century, women and young boys were employed to wash the ore body to recover the finer particles of lead ore from the non lead bearing rock.
    Last edited by Tootler; 01-23-2020 at 06:31 AM.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

In musical "Cabaret" they sang: "Money makes the world go round". This traditional song from Estonia has the same idea, "Money makes the wheels turn". Here with banjolele and € cents jingling.

A song about the fountain of Trevi in Rome.If you throw a coin in your wish will be granted allegedly.From the film of the same name

Never thought I had another one in me this week. The damn cold I have had since the end of last year has been sapping my energy.

However, the muse had other ideas and good old Garage Band (which I am thoroughly enjoying exploring) came to the rescue again with this rock inspired blues.

Hope you enjoy:

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

My energy's pretty minimal right now, too.

Yesterday I had my second shot of the shingles vaccine. Some of you may already have been so lucky – in the U.S., they recommend getting it once you get over 50. When I had the first shot in September, it gave me low-grade flu symptoms for a day and a half as side effects. A co-worker who’d previously gotten the vaccine said the second dose wasn’t such a problem, so I went in hopeful.

For 12 hours afterward, I felt fine, except that I couldn’t reach my arm upwards. Then at 10 PM, I started feeling grungy, like I was coming down with something. “Oh yeah, that’s from the vaccine.” A while later, when I went to take off my clothes to go to bed, I suddenly felt extremely cold. The room temperature was nice and warm, but I felt like I’d just taken a dip in the Greenland Sea. I started shivering uncontrollably, and within seconds that turned into massive shakes. My arms were shaking so much they were practically flailing up and down. I couldn’t control my hands enough to button up my pajama shirt, which made me feel even colder. “Okay, let’s brush my teeth and use the toilet as fast as I can, so I can get under the nice warm blankets.” My hands were still shaking around as I brushed my teeth. At one point, I stabbed the inside of my cheek with the toothbrush. I was thinking of that song by The Police, “I shake like an incurable, God help me please.” Once I got under the wool blanket, I felt a lot better.

I felt mildly crappy at work today, and needed to put on a Polartec sweater to feel warm enough when I got home.

So that is my testimony in recommendation of the shingles vaccine. A co-worker who’d had shingles told me all this was still way better than getting shingles.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

hope you feel loads better asap, jim
    lynda

acid skiffle

There is still som jazz in me after last week, so here is my take on 'Mack The Knife'. Playing the Fanner Guitar Works Jazzy Electric Baritone.

After each verse I modulate up half a step, so I start in G and end in C.

Would have loved to spend some more time on the vocals but could only manage a one take singing wise, so this is as good as it gets.

Nb. In the lyrics is a mention of Louie Miller's hard earned cash...
    Last edited by mep1; 01-24-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bird's eye view of my ukelele View Post
    hope you feel loads better asap, jim
    I think aerobic shivering could be the next exercise craze. Or at least a good name for an indie band.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information