Season 414: Coin of the Realm

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SEASON 414 — Coin of the Realm (It’s Money Songs That I Want)

I had to look up to see if we’d done this one before. Turns out we had – Season 114, with Ginny hosting. But that’s a full 300 Seasons ago, so we’re gonna do it again.

This week’s theme is money. It can be a song whose title includes a word for some type of coin or bill (“Penny Lane”, “No Quarter”, “All About the Benjamins”) or the word “money” or a synonym, or a song that prominently features such a word, or a song about money or the lack of it.

Several of these songs have been pre-tested at my house. Around Eisley, I often sing money songs but substitute the word “bunny”. Most often, it’s the O’Jays: “Bunny bunny bunny bunny…BUUUNNY!” Or the Beatles:

You never give me your bunny
You only give me your pocket gophers
And pulling loose change from the parlor sofa
I break down...

Rules:

• The video must be a new video recorded for this Season.
• The video must say that it is for the 414th Season of the Ukulele.
• Multitracking is okay, overdubs are okay. But I'm most interested in hearing you perform a song on the ukulele.
• Original songs are always welcome.
• Collaborations are always welcome.
• Collaborations on original songs? Hell, yeah!
• Videos must be posted to this thread. But not before midnight tonight, Hawaiian time. (And remember, Season 413 still has a day to go.)
• The Season lasts for 8 days, and ends at midnight Hawaiian time on Sunday night, January 26.
NO MORE THAN THREE VIDEOS! I’m usually good at promptly getting songs onto the playlist, but the last couple of times I’ve hosted I did a crap job of commenting on the videos. I’m hoping to do better this time. We’ll see…
• My plan at the moment is to give prizes to three winners who will be chosen randomly. I usually give t-shirts as prizes.

PLAYLIST

Here's a recycled video to get things going.

A few years ago, I was at an open mic where a young magician did a trick that he said involved “a card, a coin, a dollar and a dream.” I said to my friends that that sounded like it should be a song. They told me to go write it, and to play it at the next month’s open mic. So I did.

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Get your bunnies for nothing and your chicks for free

Sounds like a pretty good Easter party

Pretty sure I wanted to do this for Ginny's season back in the day but it was beyond me so I butchered Money For Nothing instead. As I then did that one again for your last (I think) season Jim, here is this one. Good timing as I've had Icky Thump in my car this week.

Hello, Jim! Great idea for the week ... numismatists the world over will be delighted! This song was the first that came to mind - I have a feeling that my Mum used to sing it to me. It is an exceedingly boring song, so I endeavoured to make it a bit more interesting; but I think that all I have succeeded in doing is making it sound like something from a very unsynchronised revivalist meeting.

For a previous season, I don't remember which, I had recorded this song, overdubbing the harmonica part, but then didn't use it. But this time I just recorded the whole thing with the uke, so the little chord melody bits are harmonica in the original.

thanks for hosting, Jim!
Here's one from me! :p

Here's one from Courtney Barnett with some whistling that gets slightly out of hand. Might see if I can find a nirvana song to complete the set now.

Everything posted up to now is on the playlist. And has even been commented on.

I told my daughter Molly about posting some of the alternative lyrics about rabbits. She responded "Mo bunny mo problems." Eisley was not pleased.

Top Bottom