Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Season 414: Coin of the Realm

Poor you, Jim! DO hope you'll get over it soon ... must remember never to have one of those jabs!
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

This is a song Eddie Rabbitt wrote that followed a formula that produced several country hits in the 80s. The song starts with the hook, no prelude, which is the beginning of the chorus. Then there's a short bridge that gets you back to the hook/chorus as soon as possible, then another chorus, then a key change and a final chorus. The whole thing should run between 2:30 and 3:00 minutes. My version is a little short because the original has a brief instrumental bit before the final chorus which also helps lead into the key change. The bridge in this one turned out to be a little tricky.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

this, an original song for the season

I'M SAVING UP ALL MY DIMES FOR YOU

I don't got no greenback dollars
    Diamond rings or fancy cars
    Don't wear no suit and no collars
    Or whistle at reflections through a whiskey jar
    There's clouds on the horizon
    But they all got their silver linings
    Cause I'm saving up all my dimes for you

Well I could have been a famous teacher
    Or a movie star
    Coulda been a doctor, a lawyer or a preacher
    But you can't save people from who they are
    So I'm saving all my dimes
    And everything's gonna be fine

The rainy day it's gonna come
    But I'll bet my money on the morning sun

I'd rather be poor and loved dear
    Than rich and all alone
    I'd rather have you at the end of my rainbow
    Than a treasure chest filled with gold
    Cause darlin I'm no financier
    But I'm a hell of a great romancer
    And I'm saving up all my dimes for you

The rainy day it's gonna come
    But I'll bet my money on the morning sun
    That's why I'm saving up all my dimes for you

This one has the word "Money" in the chorus, it should work :-)

Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Kind of surprised this was still sitting here for the taking. No drummers were harmed in the filming of this video.

Thanks for hosting Jim, and hope you feel better soon.
    Andy

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
    ~A.W.E. O'Shaughnessy

Default Money (that's what I want)

Quote Originally Posted by uke4ia View Post
    I had to look up to see if we’d done this one before. Turns out we had – Season 114, with Ginny hosting. But that’s a full 300 Seasons ago, so we’re gonna do it again.

This week’s theme is money. It can be a song whose title includes a word for some type of coin or bill (“Penny Lane”, “No Quarter”, “All About the Benjamins”) or the word “money” or a synonym, or a song that prominently features such a word, or a song about money or the lack of it.

Several of these songs have been pre-tested at my house. Around Eisley, I often sing money songs but substitute the word “bunny”. Most often, it’s the O’Jays: “Bunny bunny bunny bunny…BUUUNNY!” Or the Beatles:
    Talking of the Beatles... (or Barrett Strong, but I'm using Lennon's version of the lyric - and McCartney's version of the bass line).

The Barrett Strong/Jane Bradfield-penned debut hit single for Barrett Strong, and for Tamla Motown itself, released in 1959, & famously covered also by the Beatles in 1963 (with George Martin on piano).

Strong never received a penny in royalties. Three years after "Money"'s release, and claiming a previous 'clerical error', Berry Gordy added his name to the credits and struck off Strong's name. He never did get the money (NY Times: For a Classic Motown Song About Money, Credit Is What He Wants).

p.s. I had shingles a couple of years ago. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I had it on the back & sides. Apparently you can get it in your eyes. Doesn't bear thinking about. And now I've made you all. Whoops.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 01-26-2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: shingles
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton soprano | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

This is my first try to do a song for the seasons (and I used it for my challenge, too)

Quote Originally Posted by uke4ia View Post
    I think aerobic shivering could be the next exercise craze. Or at least a good name for an indie band.
    Feel better, soon, Jim. Significant second-hand info says yes, a bad reaction to the vaccination is much better than actually getting shingles.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

The economical cycle involves lots and lots of money. Back in the 90s, Stereolab wrote a lovely song about it.

-Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Feel better, soon, Jim. Significant second-hand info says yes, a bad reaction to the vaccination is much better than actually getting shingles.
    I realize now I should have written my post better. I posted it because while it was a weird thing that I wish hadn't happened to me, I thought it was a pretty comical image of me trying to button a shirt or brush my teeth while my arms flailed around. In the punk era, it would have caught on as a dance.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Thread Information