Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using a guitar like a uke?

Default using a guitar like a uke?

Will it harm a guitar to only string it up like a uke (i.e., only the first 4 strings)? I have an opportunity to have a B.C. Rich guitar (so deliciously 80's) but I have no interest in base strings and no gumption to learn anything new. I in essence want to make this my electric baritone uke.

There will be no harm to the guitar, but will be weird to have more than third of the fretboard empty. I like playing guitar and so carried some techniques over that are not really "needed" for ukulele such as using my thumb for the g-string and bar chords. I don't think that those techniques would work well with a partial fretboard, but many uke players don't use them. Also your neck and scale would be a lot longer than a baritone uke, which may impact playing comfort as well, and there's the change from soft synthetic strings to metal strings which will cut into your finger tips.
    Last edited by merlin666; 10-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Ripock and Merlin, how about using the "middle four" string slots for this? That way, you'd have relatively equal unused space on both sides of the fretboard. Still might feel a little "different", but might be something to consider...?

Thanks for the input.

I have a tenor guitar, so I'm used to metal strings
    I never use my thumb, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I know it would look weird, but if Keith Richards can dispense with his E string I think I could take it a step further and get rid of the A string as well.

I was only worried that without the tension of the E and A strings the neck might warp or something. I have too much respect for instruments to wantonly harm one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Ripock and Merlin, how about using the "middle four" string slots for this? That way, you'd have relatively equal unused space on both sides of the fretboard. Still might feel a little "different", but might be something to consider...?
    Yes that might work, though might need some nut work. Saddle on electric is adjustable, so intonation wouldn't be a problem.

What's the advantage of removing the strings instead of just not playing the top two strings?
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    What's the advantage of removing the strings instead of just not playing the top two strings?
    The only thing harder than playing strings is not playing strings.

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Another example of how different people label things in equally correct, but totally different ways. The words "top", "bottom", "up", "down", "high" and "low" can refer to gravity (distance from the floor) or pitch. I have to make it clear to my students that both ways are correct, but when I talk about the top or high strings, I'm talking about the first and second strings and when I talk about playing "up the neck" I mean closer to the bridge.
    glennerd's "gravity"method is just as accurate as my "pitch" method, but it can become confusing if we don't make it clear which method we're using.

It will feel very, very weird to play with only four strings.

It will feel even worst if you restring omitting the 1st and 6th and just string the centre four.

Putting a new nut and bridge will make it feel far better.

Remember folks a guitar typically has a 41mm nut and hence the strings are way closer than on a uke.
    Col.
    From the UK with a bad case of MIAS.
    Korg PA700, Korg Kross 2, Gibson LP, Fender Jazz Bass,
    + Amps, PA, Boss GT100, mixer.
    Ukes - Kala KA-TEME and Risa ST electric solid body.
    Uke wish list, a Bass, make and model yet to be determined

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    The only thing harder than playing strings is not playing strings.
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    Another example of how different people label things in equally correct, but totally different ways. The words "top", "bottom", "up", "down", "high" and "low" can refer to gravity (distance from the floor) or pitch. I have to make it clear to my students that both ways are correct, but when I talk about the top or high strings, I'm talking about the first and second strings and when I talk about playing "up the neck" I mean closer to the bridge.
    glennerd's "gravity"method is just as accurate as my "pitch" method, but it can become confusing if we don't make it clear which method we're using.
    Yup, I should have gone with 5th & 6th,although that's counter-intuitive to those who don't know string numbering (still kind of counter-intuitive to me too). I would never use high and low in a gravity sense, but I could see others doing it. How about the two strings closest to your eyeballs? There's probably an exception to that description too!
    Glenn

Thread Information