Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NUD: Sumi Tenor Spruce Top Maple back and sides

Default NUD: Sumi Tenor Spruce Top Maple back and sides

Ugh, I am in need of professional help. I thought I had my UAS under control and was pretty happy with my current stable. Then I go to NAMM and see this beauty and well, you know how the rest of the story goes.

Sumi Kobo one of a kind tenor with a Spruce top, Maple back and Sides, Koa Binding, Abalone details all over, Gotoh tuners, cut-away, back binding, etc.. She has a super sweet and clear tone. Really easy to play and get clean notes out of it. Nice sustain. I mostly finger pick and strum lightly. I think she might be strung High G with D'addario Titanium strings (they have a slight purple tint to them which really catches the light next to the abalone). The instrument feels like it weighs almost nothing. It came with a nice hard case and I had to double check the use was actually still in there, it was so light.

I know I know, pictures, or it didn't happen. When I get a chance, I'll try to post a sound sample.

Feel free to reply and help ease my conscience about buying this one!

Cheers everyone!

IMG_2271.jpgIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2273.jpgIMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

Here are a few more pics...

Thanks Takumi!

IMG_2278.jpgIMG_2277.jpgIMG_2279.jpg

I'm not a fan of the 'brightness' of Maple but it looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I'm not a fan of the 'brightness' of Maple but it looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations.
    How many maple ukuleles have you played? I bought into that stereotype as well, until playing Solorules all maple Kala Elite, the darn thing is warm and mellow sounding. Go to HMS listen to the Steve Grimes all maple tenor, same thing. Corey does a sound sound with a Kala all maple tenor and states it is like mahogany only louder. I have played two LfdM tenors with spruce tops and maple back and side, no brighter then rosewood back and sides.

Sorry for the sidetrack “ghostedr” your new Sumi tenor is a real beauty, congratulations. No need to feel bad about buying that instrument. When it is one of a kind and it speaks to you it is best to grab it while you can. Enjoy it.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

I have played solid Maple and Maple with a Spruce top. I found them all too bright. I'm sure there are Maple instruments which are not but if I ever find one it will be by accident.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Great looking Uke. You can never have too many tenors. This one looks great. Love to hear sound sample sometime. I love the strip down the back in Koa! Congrats

Forgot to mention, I love the maple and have always liked spruce sound#. Very attractive Uke. The abalone binding on the ne t is very cool.

Congratulations, such a great score! And so cool that you got to buy such a special uke at the NAMM show.

I can only confirm that all the talk of Maple being bright is a bit of a stereotyp/myth. As with other things, a lot will depend on the builder, of course, but one of the fullest and warmest ukes I have ever played is the Maple/Spruce tenor Beau Hannam built for my wife.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

That's a beauty, and I bet it sounds beautiful.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

The abalone binding looks so elegant. Looking forward to your sound sample. Thanks for sharing!
    aNueNue Moon Bird US200 || Kamaka HF-1 || Martin S-1 Uke || Eddy Finn EFTS-20-S || Kala KA-SLNG || Martin C1K Uke || Yamaha GL1
    Check out my ukulele themed paintings in UU forum thread

Thread Information