NUD: Sumi Tenor Spruce Top Maple back and sides

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Ugh, I am in need of professional help. I thought I had my UAS under control and was pretty happy with my current stable. Then I go to NAMM and see this beauty and well, you know how the rest of the story goes.

Sumi Kobo one of a kind tenor with a Spruce top, Maple back and Sides, Koa Binding, Abalone details all over, Gotoh tuners, cut-away, back binding, etc.. She has a super sweet and clear tone. Really easy to play and get clean notes out of it. Nice sustain. I mostly finger pick and strum lightly. I think she might be strung High G with D'addario Titanium strings (they have a slight purple tint to them which really catches the light next to the abalone). The instrument feels like it weighs almost nothing. It came with a nice hard case and I had to double check the use was actually still in there, it was so light.

I know I know, pictures, or it didn't happen. When I get a chance, I'll try to post a sound sample.

Feel free to reply and help ease my conscience about buying this one!

Cheers everyone!

IMG_2271.jpgIMG_2270.jpgIMG_2273.jpgIMG_2274.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

I'm not a fan of the 'brightness' of Maple but it looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations.

I'm not a fan of the 'brightness' of Maple but it looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations.

How many maple ukuleles have you played? I bought into that stereotype as well, until playing Solorules all maple Kala Elite, the darn thing is warm and mellow sounding. Go to HMS listen to the Steve Grimes all maple tenor, same thing. Corey does a sound sound with a Kala all maple tenor and states it is like mahogany only louder. I have played two LfdM tenors with spruce tops and maple back and side, no brighter then rosewood back and sides.

Sorry for the sidetrack “ghostedr” your new Sumi tenor is a real beauty, congratulations. No need to feel bad about buying that instrument. When it is one of a kind and it speaks to you it is best to grab it while you can. Enjoy it.

I have played solid Maple and Maple with a Spruce top. I found them all too bright. I'm sure there are Maple instruments which are not but if I ever find one it will be by accident.

Great looking Uke. You can never have too many tenors. This one looks great. Love to hear sound sample sometime. I love the strip down the back in Koa! Congrats

Forgot to mention, I love the maple and have always liked spruce sound#. Very attractive Uke. The abalone binding on the ne t is very cool.

Congratulations, such a great score! And so cool that you got to buy such a special uke at the NAMM show.

I can only confirm that all the talk of Maple being bright is a bit of a stereotyp/myth. As with other things, a lot will depend on the builder, of course, but one of the fullest and warmest ukes I have ever played is the Maple/Spruce tenor Beau Hannam built for my wife.

The abalone binding looks so elegant. Looking forward to your sound sample. Thanks for sharing!

Congrats! I held all the ukes in the Takumi booth and your Sumi is super nice! Awesome score!

Thanks everyone! Yesterday was a long day at Disneyland. This morning I played a bit before heading off to work and she sounds pretty good. I'm kind of digging these D'addario strings. Just kind of clean and refined. I'll try to post a video with some music. You all just post on youtube and then add the link, right?

I have been super impressed with the Sumi tenors. Stunning looks and fantastic sound.

Your maple tenor is gorgeous. Fantastic attention to detail by the makers. Just awe inspiring.

Alex at Southern Ukulele Store did a comparison of strings using his Sumi tenor to make the comparisons. You might want to look up the video on YouTube. Don't remember the name of the video. You'll get to hear his Koa Sumi as well. Beware! He plays left-handed.

Thanks everyone! Yesterday was a long day at Disneyland. This morning I played a bit before heading off to work and she sounds pretty good. I'm kind of digging these D'addario strings. Just kind of clean and refined. I'll try to post a video with some music. You all just post on youtube and then add the link, right?

That is a lovely instrument! I really like the tasteful appointments and beautiful woods. Look forward to hearing the sound sample. It's probably best that I live far away from NAMM!

As far as posting a youtube video, I found the easiest way to do it here is to copy and paste the link in the insert video option. It is next to the insert photo option to the right and looks kind of like film reel ~

Last edited:
Beautiful! Love spruce /maple and bet it sounds fantastic.

Here you go. The first part are some arpeggios to Somewhere over the rainbow, followed by a few chords from Drop Baby Drop and then a few bars from While My Guitar Gently Weeps which I’ve been working on for a little while now.

Please excuse the missed notes and mistakes. Haha. My dogs were mighty confused.

Here you go. The first part are some arpeggios to Somewhere over the rainbow, followed by a few chords from Drop Baby Drop and then a few bars from While My Guitar Gently Weeps which I’ve been working on for a little while now.

Please excuse the missed notes and mistakes. Haha. My dogs were mighty confused.

Nice playing. Your Sumi sounds terrific. Crisp clear notes, quite good sustain. Nice balance.

That’s sounds great. Beautiful balanced tone, not too bright, has warmth, depth and nice sustain to the sound. Congratulations you have a wonderful sounding ukulele.

Diagnosis: your UAS is out of remission. The proof? Those are some pretty sexy shots of that ukulele. Definitely illustrates your underlying mental association of desire and ukuleles.

Top Bottom