Strings Breaking - Thinking Required

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I converted an Enya tenor into a resonator, and it sounds fine, but it has a problem. The strings tend to break where they contact the cover plate. It's not especially sharp, but I've had several strings break at that point. I'm going to have to think of a way to protect the strings from the edge of that metal cover.

008.jpg 008A.jpg

First off, that looks really cool!

Now about your problem....If I'm looking at this correctly, I see how that'd be a problem/stress point for sure. Have you tried taking a small round file, or maybe even folder up sandpaper and running it over that edge and smoothing where the string comes out? That would be my first step.
My first thought, before seeing it was fitting in a small piece of leather or even felt to cushion it, but not sure how you'd get those to stay in the holes. Hm...Simple hot glue might even work, but I know you don't want to ruin the look either.

Another approach could be to add a wood "string stop" bar (or whatever it's called), as is used on the Beltona resonators. Then you'd just have a stopper knot up against a hole in the wood.

songster01.jpg

Last edited:
First off, that looks really cool!

Now about your problem....If I'm looking at this correctly, I see how that'd be a problem/stress point for sure. Have you tried taking a small round file, or maybe even folder up sandpaper and running it over that edge and smoothing where the string comes out? That would be my first step.
My first thought, before seeing it was fitting in a small piece of leather or even felt to cushion it, but not sure how you'd get those to stay in the holes. Hm...Simple hot glue might even work, but I know you don't want to ruin the look either.

I think it's the thinness of the metal that's the problem, more than the rough edges.

I was thinking of what material I could put in there to protect the strings, and as I was removing the strings, I got an idea: strings. I could glue small pieces of uke string into each slot so that the actual strings would be resting against string fragments.

I also considered the approach that besley mentioned, since I had seen that on other resonators. I have some mahogany I could use. If I do that, I'll have to remove the cover plate. Another concern is the angle of the strings from the saddle to the cover plate. If the strings aren't at enough of an angle, there won't be enough tension on the saddle. I suppose I could have the strings run right into the bottom of that wooden retainer.

I converted an Enya tenor into a resonator, and it sounds fine, but it has a problem. The strings tend to break where they contact the cover plate. It's not especially sharp, but I've had several strings break at that point. I'm going to have to think of a way to protect the strings from the edge of that metal cover.

View attachment 124588 View attachment 124589

I've had that problem on two occasions (different resonators with similar string attachment). First one was fixed by using emery paper in the hole on the edge. Never had another snap. The second one that didn't work. The way I fixed it was to tie the knot in the string then wrapped a thin sliver of packing tape around the end just above the knot and enough to cover the string at the point it engages with the metal work. First go, didn't work. Extra wrap of tape DID work!

I've had that problem on two occasions (different resonators with similar string attachment). First one was fixed by using emery paper in the hole on the edge. Never had another snap. The second one that didn't work. The way I fixed it was to tie the knot in the string then wrapped a thin sliver of packing tape around the end just above the knot and enough to cover the string at the point it engages with the metal work. First go, didn't work. Extra wrap of tape DID work!

Thanks! I like that wrapping idea. I have some duct tape lying around somewhere. :D

Last edited:
Thanks! I like that wrapping idea. I have some duct tape lying around somewhere. :D

i figured it was essentially the same as the cotton wraps you get around the ball end of some guitar strings and lots of bass strings!

i figured it was essentially the same as the cotton wraps you get around the ball end of some guitar strings and lots of bass strings!

Looking at images online - and my other three resonators, that wooden strip seems to be standard.

.....I also considered the approach that besley mentioned, since I had seen that on other resonators. I have some mahogany I could use. If I do that, I'll have to remove the cover plate. Another concern is the angle of the strings from the saddle to the cover plate. If the strings aren't at enough of an angle, there won't be enough tension on the saddle.....

I've wondered about that too, but I think the need for a sharp downward angle on the bridge is way overstated. I've looked at a few National resonators in the shops and been amazed at how shallow the break angle was, and they sounded fine. In the guitar world I've seen a minimum angle of 15° mentioned, and that isn't very much.

Last edited:
Could you duct tape the metal instead of the strings? Discreetly and out of sight.

I had a SoundSmith tenor resonator for a while. I found a broken string twice in the morning after playing it. Figured out it was the expansion and contraction of the strings with the drop in temperature at night sawing at the string. It had a keyhole arrangement for the ends of the strings. Tied a big knot in the end of the string dropped it into the hole and tighten everything up. I used a fine round needle file and gently ran it in the end of the narrow part of the keyhole rounding the edge. It was fine after that.

Update: I'm shaping a piece of mahogany to hold the strings in place. I had to order small nuts and bolts from RTL Fasteners to attach it. My Mya-Moe uses screws into the metal cover plate, but since I have the plate off anyway, I'll use nuts (with nylon inserts) and bolts. I hope they deliver quickly. VA to NY shouldn't take long.

Update: I cut a small piece of mahogany, drilled some holes, and attached it with tiny nuts and bolts I got from RTL Fasteners. It works fine. Thanks for your suggestions.

Wood 1.jpg Wood 2.jpg Wood 3.jpg Wood 4.jpg Wood 4-2.jpg

Good deal. Glad you got a solution that worked out for you.

Top Bottom