Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 string ukulele - twice as hard to play?

I think I'm now leaning toward a 6 string. The Kala KA 6 looks interesting. Maybe an Ohana TK-70-6.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 01-21-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

A friend plays mandolin, re-stringing any four stringed instrument he can get his hands on the same way (including ukulele). Would that work in reverse? I believe mandolin has about the same scale length as a tenor uke, presumably the overall string tension would be lower. It's just that would provide a much wider rang of available instruments.
    Pardon my naivety.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hurst View Post
    A friend plays mandolin, re-stringing any four stringed instrument he can get his hands on the same way (including ukulele). Would that work in reverse? I believe mandolin has about the same scale length as a tenor uke, presumably the overall string tension would be lower. It's just that would provide a much wider rang of available instruments.
    Pardon my naivety.
    Mandolin is GDAE
    and I have considered buying and switching the strings to...
    GDEG
    tune the D down one step
    tune the second G - first string - up a step
    And you would have a
    GCEA
    With a low G and a low A

Different sound, but certainly easily achievable.

Alas, I have given up on the concept and now looking at a 5 string Uke.

One thing I love about playing my 8-string ukes is that they sound really good and don't get lost in the mix when I'm playing with acoustic guitars. That high C string really cuts through.

Here's a video I did a few years ago for Seasons of the Ukulele, fingerpicking my Lanikai O-8E along with a fingerpicked classical guitar. The combo sounds really cool together (IMO).

I like using mine for both strumming and picking. Yes, barre chords are a bit harder, and of course tuning takes twice as long.

- FiL

Bit more pressure on the fingers, need a bit more accuracy on picking or melody lines, but other than that, no. No more difficult really.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Fil, nice video and playing. I agree the combo of classical and 8 string sound very nice. Looks like you both have capos on and playing different chord shapes. Love the sound. Never really considered a 8 string but if I were playing with another person or two, the 8 string add depth and sound, well very cool. Thanks for posting. I was recently looking at 5 string as I play mostly by myself and heard sample where the double high and low g adds depth. So many ukes, so little time.....and money. Haha

Since practically all 6 and 8 string ukes are tenors, I took a little field trip today to the music store to play some tenors. (I only have concert scale.) I once had a tenor but I never bonded with it. The scale just didn't feel right to me and I ended up selling it. That was years ago so I thought I'd try one again to see if maybe a 6 or 8 string might be enough incentive to try a tenor again. Unfortunately, the store had neither so I played some 4 string tenors for a while. While I could play them, I still didn't like the feel or scale of the tenor. I still don't think I'd be happy with one so I'm left with the concert scale which is going to really limit my choices.

Are there any other 6 string concerts out there other than the Ohana CK-70-A6? Ohana also has the 8 string taropatch CK-35-8. Are there any other recommended 8 string/taropatch concert ukuleles out there? (Preferably <$300 but you know how that goes.) I guess I'm still concerned about the added tension of 6 or 8 strings but I'd like to think that low action would make either comfortable to play.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Not aware of 6 string concerts but Ohana and Pono taropatch are on my radar. Maybe Mim will get B-stock again.

Thread Information