Buying the same model or uke twice, mistake corrected

Doc_J

Reaction score
Just got my 2nd Cali walnut baritone by Mike Pereira. It’s even more awesome than the first one I have. About 6 months ago I sold the first one, in an attempt to reduce my number of baritones. It’s hard to remember exactly why I decided that particular baritone could be sold. Time passed I tried other baritones and realized I had made a mistake. I never should’ve sold that first MP Cali.

Tried to replace it maybe 3 months ago, Only to find that none were available. Mike is only making so many. Finally two appeared at Mim’s Reverb site this January. And I snagged my second MP Cali baritone. I was concerned that this second baritone from Mike might feel or sound different from the first one. But great news, it feels every bit as good as the first one, and I swear it sounds even better, and is just a little prettier.

Wondering if other folks have found themselves in the same situation, re-buying the same model or the same uke after they realize they should’ve never parted with the first one.

BTW, this not the first time a repurchase has happened for me.

Interesting - I don't have that problem, most likely because I'm not selling as many as I should.

The only similar story I have is with the Kala SLNG. I had bought one as a 'tide me over' uke while waiting on another I wanted more, probably the KPK, then sold it shortly thereafter. Then I got a trade offer for a KA-SLNG, the koa laminate version, and took it. I put it in Eb tuning to justify the trade. :p

Just got my 2nd Cali walnut baritone by Mike Pereira. It’s even more awesome than the first one I have. About 6 months ago I sold the first one, in an attempt to reduce my number of baritones. It’s hard to remember exactly why I decided that particular baritone could be sold. Time passed I tried other baritones and realized I had made a mistake. I never should’ve sold that first MP Cali.

I don't want to derail the thread, but can I ask why you sold the MP Cali (instead of one of your other baritones), and what was it that made you buy it again (instead of a different baritone)? I've been thinking about getting a baritone, and along with a LoPrinzi and a Bruko, the MP Cali has piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get a chance to see one in person, so I'm trying to gather all the information I can. I did look over your review, which was helpful, but any more information about it would be great, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there for this baritone.

Also, I haven't sold and bought again any ukulele.

Looking over my list, I'm surprised to see how many I bought/sold/bought again. I sold them for decent prices, and sometimes the replacements cost less that the originals.

Duke 10
Firefly
Flea
Tiny Tenor
Martin OXK
XS Soprano
Kala cedar tenor

I don't want to derail the thread, but can I ask why you sold the MP Cali (instead of one of your other baritones), and what was it that made you buy it again (instead of a different baritone)? I've been thinking about getting a baritone, and along with a LoPrinzi and a Bruko, the MP Cali has piqued my interest. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll get a chance to see one in person, so I'm trying to gather all the information I can. I did look over your review, which was helpful, but any more information about it would be great, since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot out there for this baritone.

I’ve had quite a few baritones, sold a bunch and still have probably too many. Usually I do a comparison playings and recordings, and decide how different they sound or how similar they sound, and then decide which one will go.

I don’t write down why I chose one over another to sell. I probably should document, for my own sanity, why I chose to sell each one I did at that time. But my guess is I preferred the sound of my spruce top /east Indian Rosewood Mya-moe or my Graziano spruce/koa baritone, plus both are more expensive and custom ukes. I had the Mya-moe built and waited 17-months to get it. The Cali is less blingy with no rosette and a flat fretboard. I was just trying to reduce my collection. Time passes. Periodically I still listen to the recordings I made of my different instruments. I wonder why I sold it as it really sounds so good in the recordings. I also liked how it felt and the note clarity and warmth. It had a very open sound, lots of responsiveness to have as much volume as I wanted. It has a 19.5 inch scale which I consider perfect, right between 19 and 20 inch standard scales. That’ll allow for a little less string tension. To Make a long story short I’m so glad I was able to get another MP Cali Baritone.

I have not played a Loprinzi or a Bruko, but I have played a lot of baritones. I don’t believe the Bruko has the standard size body. I recall they were a little smaller, with only have a 12 fret neck. I’ve listened to recordings of Bruko baritones and haven’t been impressed. I would check with Mike at Uke Republic as he has sold both Loprinzi and MP’s Cali baritones. I’m sure he could tell you the differences between the two. One thing is you can get a Loprinzi made in different woods or a custom build. Cali’s are only walnut and not available as custom. I wouldn’t have any hesitation to recommend the MP Cali baritone to a friend. YMMV

Last edited:

I just wanted to say that my walnut Loprinzi is one I will never sell. The build quality is excellent. Beautiful tone. There is nothing I would change. Simple rosette and binding but I'm not big on bling. I made the mistake of letting my original mahog cutaway sunburst tenor Loprinzi go (didn't like tenor size at the time) and have regretted it.

Most times when I let something go, I don't regret it. There was something usually about the instrument that really didn't suit me and I wouldn't repurchase...like a flea I had- didn't care for the tone, the neck profile or the concert size. Sometimes tho, something about me changes and I have repurchased. I sold a Taylor early on, thinking I'll never get the hang of guitar, only to repurchase the same guitar a few years later and we are getting on fine.

The ukes I've sold haven't worked for me, (neck or scale length turned out not be to be a good fit for me.) So, I haven't repurchased any exact models.

I have, though, tried the same maker in a different scale length. (Tenor didn't work for me, but I loved the ukulele, so I got a concert.)

Hopefully, I've got myself sorted out now, and will now have a UAS free year. But, you never know. :)

I bought and returned a Blackbird Farallon, but now I'm seriously considering giving one another try. I keep watching videos of people playing them and reading reviews and second guessing my decision to return the one I had. I really didn't give it much time because I wanted to quickly return it for a refund I wasn't going to keep it. Anyone want to try and sway me one way or the other?! :)

-Brett

I’ve had quite a few baritones, sold a bunch and still have probably too many. Usually I do a comparison playings and recordings, and decide how different they sound or how similar they sound, and then decide which one will go.

I don’t write down why I chose one over another to sell. I probably should document, for my own sanity, why I chose to sell each one I did at that time. But my guess is I preferred the sound of my spruce top /east Indian Rosewood Mya-moe or my Graziano spruce/koa baritone, plus both are more expensive and custom ukes. I had the Mya-moe built and waited 17-months to get it. The Cali is less blingy with no rosette and a flat fretboard. I was just trying to reduce my collection. Time passes. Periodically I still listen to the recordings I made of my different instruments. I wonder why I sold it as it really sounds so good in the recordings. I also liked how it felt and the note clarity and warmth. It had a very open sound, lots of responsiveness to have as much volume as I wanted. It has a 19.5 inch scale which I consider perfect, right between 19 and 20 inch standard scales. That’ll allow for a little less string tension. To Make a long story short I’m so glad I was able to get another MP Cali Baritone.

I have not played a Loprinzi or a Bruko, but I have played a lot of baritones. I don’t believe the Bruko has the standard size body. I recall they were a little smaller, with only have a 12 fret neck. I’ve listened to recordings of Bruko baritones and haven’t been impressed. I would check with Mike at Uke Republic as he has sold both Loprinzi and MP’s Cali baritones. I’m sure he could tell you the differences between the two. One thing is you can get a Loprinzi made in different woods or a custom build. Cali’s are only walnut and not available as custom. I wouldn’t have any hesitation to recommend the MP Cali baritone to a friend. YMMV

Thanks Hodge, that was very helpful. I've wanted to try a LoPrinzi (tenor or soprano), but I always end up with something else. Maybe I'll get my chance with a baritone. And the few Bruko sound samples I've heard seem like they've managed to capture some of their soprano sound in their baritone, which appeals to me.

I think I'm a bit hesitant about the walnut on the MP Cali, as I'd prefer something, I don't know, brighter maybe? I'm thinking cherry with the LoPrinzi. There was recently a new old stock Kamaka HF-4 that went at a significant discount from HMS, that I'm wondering if I should have grabbed before it got sold. But I wasn't really looking for Hawaiian or koa so I hesitated.

I know Mike Pereira does customs, but my preference is towards simpler designs, and I like the plainness of the Cali. Do you have any other baritone recommendations?

I appreciate the advice. Maybe I'll start a thread to see if anyone has experience with the LoPrinzi or Bruko.

I just wanted to say that my walnut Loprinzi is one I will never sell. The build quality is excellent. Beautiful tone. There is nothing I would change. Simple rosette and binding but I'm not big on bling. I made the mistake of letting my original mahog cutaway sunburst tenor Loprinzi go (didn't like tenor size at the time) and have regretted it.

Thanks, I've been thinking about getting a LoPrinzi for a while, although not in walnut. I was considering cherry. I don't have much experience with walnut as a tonewood; did you specifically request your walnut baritone, or did you just like the ukulele and it happened to be made of walnut? Asking because the walnut is one of my hesitations about the MP Cali baritone, and therefore one of the pros (for me) of getting a LoPrinzi.

I suspect most of us have ditched something or someone and regretted the decision later. And those lost instruments, girlfriends, cameras and opportunities may haunt you forever unless, of course, you can somehow get them back. I now never sell an old instrument until the replacement has been in my hands for at least a year. Usually end up keeping them all...

Thanks, I've been thinking about getting a LoPrinzi for a while, although not in walnut. I was considering cherry. I don't have much experience with walnut as a tonewood; did you specifically request your walnut baritone, or did you just like the ukulele and it happened to be made of walnut? Asking because the walnut is one of my hesitations about the MP Cali baritone, and therefore one of the pros (for me) of getting a LoPrinzi.

I bought my walnut Loprinzi many years ago, when I met Donna at a TBUS convention. I wasn't looking for walnut but was impressed by the by the tone after playing it. I found it to be mellow, like mahogany, but also with good clarity. It's my only walnut instrument.

I have a MP Cali Walnut concert size and absolutely adore it! Such a unique sound. I grew up in California with a huge black walnut tree in our front yard so I just love this locally sourced wood, luthier built, simple, artisan Uke. I’m still exploring the tones it makes with different strings. Glad you were able to pick up another Bari... I remember seeing your first one on the marketplace and wondering why? Absence made the heart grow fonder!

The only similar story I have is with the Kala SLNG. I had bought one as a 'tide me over' uke while waiting on another I wanted more, probably the KPK, then sold it shortly thereafter. Then I got a trade offer for a KA-SLNG, the koa laminate version, and took it. I put it in Eb tuning to justify the trade. :p

Haha, that was my first ukulele and I sort of regret selling it. Almost tempted to do the same. I just noticed Kala discontinued the model for 2020. They've got other long necks, but I'd probably try a Famous if I wanted another long neck (like the one on the marketplace right now...hmm).

Top Bottom