My first Ukulele

Twiggy

Reaction score
Thanks to Jan D, I decided to buy a Flight TUS-35 as my first Uke, it ended up coming all the way from the Netherlands via UPS, I did have to pay $20 CAD import charges, so that made it more expensive in sense of total price than I would've liked, but I didn't know that until after it was shipped, so not much I could do other than refuse the delivery, and it wasn't that big of a deal.

It came with a nice little "Start up guide" which has a diagram of 28 chords, and a few strumming patterns, also a quick guide to tuning, for different types of Ukes.

It is smaller than I imagined, it to be and extremely light. I was surprised when I got home and picked up the package, it was extremely light.

Of course it's pretty much all plastic, except for the front of the body, but it all feels very nice and not cheap at all.

I'm excited to start leaning. It seems I'll need to download a free tuning app on my phone for now, until I can buy a tuner next month.

Does anyone know if a guitar tuner might work? My brother plays guitar and he had a tuner once, though I am not sure if he still has it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 31
Congrats on your new uke. That's a great one to get started with. Lots and lots of online resources for ukulele. I highly recommend Baz' Gotaukulele.com
website. He created it specifically as a resource for new uke players and it's full of great tips, information, chord references, songs and ukulele reviews.

Your brother's guitar tuner may be fine. If it has a 440hz setting. Your phone app will work fine as well.

Enjoy your journey. It's a lot of fun.

If there is ukulele club in your area you can join, it will connect you with others who enjoy playing. Most of them welcome noobs. And many offer lessons and help.

Congratulations on your new Flight uke, Twiggy! It will need to be tuned quite regularly for the first week or so while the new strings continue to stretch. But once they settle in, they will hold pitch quite well, and you will only need to make small adjustments from time to time. I’m glad you’re excited about learning how to play your new uke. It’s a wonderful journey you are about to begin. Have fun with it! (And let us know if you have any questions.)

Jan D.

I'm excited to start leaning. It seems I'll need to download a free tuning app on my phone for now, until I can buy a tuner next month.

Does anyone know if a guitar tuner might work? My brother plays guitar and he had a tuner once, though I am not sure if he still has it.
Congrats on your new uke. A guitar tuner may work well if it is a chromatic tuner that just detects any note regardless of which instrument plays it. If it is a cheap guitar-specific it may only work for the e string and you have to do the others by ear. Learning to tune by ear is a good habit anyway - affordable tuners have only been around for a few years, and they usually are out of battery just when you need them most. As mentioned above a Snark ST-8 is a reliable all-purpose tuner that can be found for US$10 or Long&McQuade Can$22 in store.

Congrats on the new uke. Did you see the warning label
"The surgeon general has determined that owning a ukulele exposes one to several disorders including NUD UAS"

Let us know about the next one.

Top Bottom