Am I tuning right?

Twiggy

Reaction score
So, I am trying to tune my new and first Uke right now, a Soprano.

I am using a free app, I am working on the first string from the left, I am tuning in chromatic mode, as a concert instrument (only thing allowed in the free version), and I've managed to get it to show a steady green "G4", which seems like it may be good, but I know that the note is supposed to just be "G", so is the "4" a problem, or is everything good?

Thanks,

I found another app, specifically for Ukes.

I got them all tuned, but it gets out of tune fast, I guess like the booklet says, the strings need some time to stretch.

I was a little scared tuning for A, because I didn't want to tighten things too much to avoid breaking a string. Weirdly, it had to go from G-E then G again, and then it went to A.

Of course being brand new, they were way, out of tune, hopefully now it should be easier to tune, because hopefully the should be in the red, but remain near the note, hopefully.

Last edited:
Now that you have them tuned you will notice them wandering out for a bit. Keep playing, keep adjusting and they will settle. Could take a couple days depending on your touch time.

Sometimes a tuner or a tuning app will not discriminate between octaves. When I got my first ukulele I tuned the C string an octave too low. The tuner told me it was a C. Took me a day or two here for someone to tell me to check that, and they were right. Not saying that was your problem before, but it is something to keep in mind.

Top Bottom