Recommendations: Soprano Pineapple Ukulele for studio recording

KevinTJH

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I own a collection of ukuleles (both Sopranos and Baritones), but I don't really have anything I would consider "High end".

I'm looking to hit the recording studio to do a ukulele album.
Since I'll be using very high end equipment to record this, it'd be a waste if I didn't use a spectacular sounding instrument to match that.

What are some of my options (Pineapple Soprano specifically) within the under $500 mark?

PS: I'm absolutely OK with something used, even if it's old and worn out. Prioritising sound and playability over aesthetics.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I sometimes see used Kamaka pineapples on eBay or Reverb at a decent price. Maybe you could find a good deal.

I have no experience with them myself, but I've heard good things about Mele ukuleles. I think they sell primarily through eBay, and a quick search right now for Mele pineapple soprano brings up two new ones at your price range. An all koa model at $499 and an all mahogany one at $299.

I think used is a great way to get higher end ukuleles, but in my experience, old Kamakas are hit or miss in sound, and I would want to play the specific uke I was going to purchase before buying.

Mainland also comes to mind well within your budget. I haven't tried their mango models (although I hear good things), but I'd recommend their cedar/rosewood over their mahogany ukuleles.

Last edited:
I started to edit my comment, but just decided to make another post.

For what it's worth, many players don't consider ukuleles under $500 as "high end," although starting at around the $300 or $400 mark may be considered more "serious" ukuleles. And there are fantastic options at that price range. But those options are somewhat narrowed by specifying a soprano and greatly narrowed by specifying a pineapple. Pono, for example, makes great pineapple ukuleles under $500, but I haven't seen any in soprano size. If you don't mind moving up to a concert, I would highly recommend the Pono mango pineapple. Especially for recording, since Ponos tend to be quieter, something easily compensated for in a studio.

In any case, what is or isn't serious or high end or studio-worthy is likely a very contentious topic, and I'm trying to report my impressions of general attitudes rather than my own opinion. And while an amazing musician can make a cheap instrument sound amazing, most artists don't want their instruments to be the limiting factor in the quality of music they produce.

Also, I didn't want to sound like I was contradicting EDW's suggestion to get a used Kamaka. It's a good suggestion, since that's probably one of the only "high end" pineapple sopranos that might be gotten under $500. But I would advise trying it out first if possible, or having a return option.

One other suggestion is the Romero Creations XS Soprano in mahogany or mango. I don't know their availability, but I think they are just under $500 and sound great (at least when demoed by Daniel Ho). They aren't a traditional pineapple shape, so I don't know if that works for you. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much for the responses, guys!

It is such a funny coincidence that I'm looking at 2 different ukuleles to consider on eBay at the moment and they are both the exact ukuleles both EDW and snowdenn just mentioned.

I'd be stretching it to the AUD$650 mark in this case. I'm not allowed to post links here unfortunately so I can only describe them here.

Which of the two would be the better option?

- Pono Mango Deluxe Pineapple Concert Ukulele w/ hardcase (AUD$600)

OR

- Vintage Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele (has a crack line under the bridge) w/ hardcase (AUD$650)

Between the two ukes, it's tough to say without playing them. Especially the vintage Kamaka. In my experience, Ponos seem pretty consistent, so I feel comfortable saying their deluxe mango pineapple concert has a really great tone, though not as loud as I like. Also, the neck shape is larger than I prefer, but that's personal preference.

These two ukuleles are going to produce pretty different sounds, as the construction, wood, and size are different. I'm not sure if you're after a particular sound, but if you are, then maybe you should also consider non-pineapple sopranos. Having played two vintage Kamakas side by side, I think a figure 8 shaped Kamaka would sound more like the Kamaka pineapple than this Pono would. Or if you just like the idea of recording with a pineapple ukulele, the Pono is an excellent option, though again, I can't say it's better or worse than the Kamaka without first hearing them.

But they are going to sound pretty different. The Kamaka should give you a more traditional Hawaiian sound. And the Pono's sound will be a little sweeter, from my experience. Sound samples of the Pono should be easy to find online. I haven't searched for vintage Kamaka sound samples, and I'm not sure how representative that would be for their vintage ukuleles.

Also, I doubt that a crack will make any noticeable difference in tone. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken, but as far as I know, cracks are really only problematic because unchecked they can lead to the instrument falling apart. Which is a big problem, but if a crack didn't grow or cause any other problems, I don't think it would affect the sound.

Top Bottom