Thread: Recording

Default Recording

I know the best way to record audio on a laptop is using a quality microphone through an audio interface but how do I record video at the same time? I want to make videos but with the superior audio of the interface but donít know the best way to do audio and quality video together. Help please

My practice for the Flukutronic channel is to use a Zoom Q8 camera for video and (most) audio capture, but I post-process the audio in a DAW and then sync it back with the video in a video editor. I occasionally use other equipment like an iPhone or Blue Yeti mic but the process of separating out audio, editing it separately, and then joining back with the video is the same.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant

!Flukutronic!

I use a Canon EOS 90D for the video (4k or HD) and mount it on a solid tripod. I don't want to look ugly so I use a couple softboxes for lighting. For audio, I use a Tascam audio recorder and two Neumann KM184 mics on a Shure stereo mount. For post production I upload the Tascam files in Logic Pro for minor tweaks—trim, maybe a dab of EQ and reverb. Finally, I load the edited audio into Adobe Premiere to sync the audio and video and add fades and other edits to make a final product. A decade ago I started with Garage Band and iMovie so the software can be pretty simple if you don't need to use multiple camera feeds.

I shoot with 3 Canon HD video cameras (1080p is still great quality), and 3 Sony stereo shotgun mics mounted on the cameras. (I recently bought 6 Nu-X wireless systems and plan on using 3 for the next shoot.) I then edit in Final Cut Pro 10.4 with the three channels stacked, using the audio tracks to automatically sync them, then keeping only the best quality audio active, cutting between the channels.

I haven't used the Final Cut Pro Multicam workflow yet because my 2012 MacBook Pro was not powerful enough, but I recently got a new Mac Mini 2018 8,1 with 3.2 GHz Intel 6 Core i7, 32GB of RAM, an 8TB RAID 0 NVMe drive via Thunderbolt 3 running at avg. of 3600 read/write (the MacBook ran at under 500). I plan on using Multicam on the next one.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

When I started, I used a Lumix hybrid camera - it picked up all of my bad playing.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

A while back, Booli used to have a link to his FAQ in his forum signature, but seems he changed it some time ago.

He's not been on the forum for a while, but I had the link bookmarked. On that page, there are links back to the forum for many discussions about recording and how to do it and how to get good sound, with different kinds of microphones, etc.

You may want to have a look, and get your favorite beverage and buckle in, because the discussions are extensive and quite informative.

You journey begins here:

http://bd.entropyadept.com/faq.html

Good luck!
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Audio: Microphone attached to computer (eg: Interface or USB microphone).
    In my case, a Shure SM57 with a Shure X2U interface.

Video: Use anything that has a recording camera. In my case, my phone camera.

After recording the Audio and Video, synchronise the audio with the video using a video editing software.

Example of result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD9ZT30ycd0

As suggested, the cumbersome yet best way to do it is to record video on a separate device and sync it together in a video editor afterwards.
    A smartphone camera is fine in bright daylight. If you want sharper images indoors, in the evening etc, using a camera with a bigger sensor will get better results.
    But lighting and camera placement will likely be way more important than the camera for the result.

Regardless of the camera, you need some sort of tripod for it. Nobody looks their best from the low angle you get from putting your camera or phone on the table and tilting it upwards.
    If you have none, you can either get a small "gorilla pod" kind of tripod that you can place on your tabletop, that will raise the camera to eye level, or a full size tripod to place on the floor for a more free placement. And you can get an adapter to hold your smartphone on the tripod if you don't have a camera and want to spare the costs of getting one. Just think of lighting.

As for the resolution, I would say that it depends what the video is for. I have been recording in full HD for a long time, but I am stepping down to 720p rather than up to 4k. My videos are just for Youtube, people are going to watch them in 720p 30fps, so I will save the storage space and go easier on the rendering in my video editor. Oldschool DVD's are just 480p if I am not mistaking, and I had fun watching those. But if you like hgiher resolutions, go for it. It is just that my stuff is not pro music videos.

If you record several tracks on you laptop, you will get the issue of you wearing headphones in the video, and having to decide whether to use one video track or mix more together, which requires more advanced video editors.

Before mixing the audio and video, make sure that the sound level on your audio is like you want it.
    I often find that it is too quiet, and I have to mix down a new sound file and start over the video process.

In the video editor, sync the audio with the video audio - then mute the video audio, add whatever text you want etc. and render your video.
    The more fancy stuff you want in your video, the more difficult the syncing process.
    I have an old Windows PC, and keep going back to Windows Movie Maker. It can't do fancy stuff, but it is easy to learn and very stable. I have seen other freem software such as ShortCut Video Editor chrash or make glitches in the rendering. Naturally you need a more sofisticated software to make something like the video in the post before mine.
    Sometimes I miss fancy stuff, like being able to fade the vdeo in and out without messing up the syncronisation. Every software have drawbacks.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 01-24-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information