Dorico 3 SE

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I was just looking through the forums and realized that there isn't a place for talking about technology and ukuleles, so this goes in the "Uke Talk" thread.

I wanted to let everyone know that Steinberg just released Dorico 3 SE, which is a free version (two part) of Dorico, their answer to Finale and Sibelius.

In reality, the core of the Dorico team was the British team of Sibelius (where Sibelius started), and Avid (who owns Sibelius) decided to farm out development of Sibelius to Eastern Europe (massive cost savings) and fired the whole team. Steinberg contacted them, and offered them a chance to make their own software from scratch--and something like two to three years later, Dorico was introduced.

At any rate, you can buy the full Dorico or other versions, but the SE version gives you two voices.

For those of you wanting to create tabs or lead sheets, Dorico SE seems to have all the functionality you would ever need.

Yes, there are many other options, some free (e.g. MuseScore), some paid (e.g. Notion). But I think Dorico SE is worth a look, as the price is right. Check it out if you would like!

www.dorico.com

P.S. I do not work for Dorico in any way.

Thanks for the info and link. I'm sure this will be useful for lots of people.

The FREE version needs to be selected from the menu row on the product page. I did not see it immediately, so I am putting this here in case it is not obvious to others.

Oddly, I cannot find a list of system requirements, or if this will run on Windows, Mac or Linux. Maybe it's just me?

Also, an annoyance to me is that when you click the download link, it requires you to create an account and give your email address.

This is also true for the trial version.

So FYI to anyone looking into this. :)

I have too many different email addresses, logins and passwords already, which I try to limit these days and don't need any more. It's so overwhelming.

I must be getting old :eek:ld:

I have a subscription to Sibelius Ultimate, the latest Finale, but can this free Dorico do uke tabs and fretboards?

- petey

Just revisiting this old thread after a Google search bought it up. I'm downloading Dorico 3.5 Pro right now for a trial. I already have a subscription to Sibelius Ultimate, latest Finale, and the latest Guitar Pro 7.5. These are all music notation programs. I plan on doing some quick YouTube tutorials how to do a ukulele melody and TAB template from their various set-ups since I have them all. Cheers.

Before you pony up for a subscription I would recommend trying Musescore. It's free and open source. I was just using it this afternoon to transcribe a tune for low G.

Before you pony up for a subscription I would recommend trying Musescore. It's free and open source. I was just using it this afternoon to transcribe a tune for low G.
Please post some examples please with melody line, TAB and uke fretboards with Musescore. I don't plan on buying Dorico suddenly. I already have Sibelius and non-sub Finale and Guitar Pro.

Show me if you can do this:

Last edited:
I need fretboards. If you can't handle fretboards, give it up. Your TAB looks good but I need those fretboards. I want to compare all score programs. Man, you don't even have Chord Symbols. Don't mess with me when it comes to notation.

Last edited:
I need fretboards. If you can't handle fretboards, give it up. Your TAB looks good but I need those fretboards. I want to compare all score programs. Man, you don't even have Chord Symbols. Don't mess with me when it comes to notation.
Understood!

Petey,

Notion can do what you're trying to do (Fender is going to be acquiring its mother company), and Dorico now has an iPad version that can do this, too. Dorico is easier to use than Finale..and I've never been a Sibelius user. Notion is the easiest to use, and also pretty affordable.

I *think* MuseScore can do these things, too...but as I have the paid software, I don't have reasons to look elsewhere.

MuseScore can do both Fretboard Diagrams and Chord Symbols. Guitar fretboard diagrams are available by default in the palette bar, and uke fretboards can be adde via plugin (see https://musescore.org/en/node/283424 ). I don't know know how usable they are as I just put in Chord Symbols by keyboard shortcut.

MuseScore's good enough for my uses so I haven't compared with the significant commercial products. I would hope you'd get better engraving and UI from those, though when I compared with Guitar Pro (several years ago) I found MuseScore easier to use for my needs.

MuseScore can do both Fretboard Diagrams and Chord Symbols. Guitar fretboard diagrams are available by default in the palette bar, and uke fretboards can be adde via plugin (see https://musescore.org/en/node/283424 ). I don't know know how usable they are as I just put in Chord Symbols by keyboard shortcut.

MuseScore's good enough for my uses so I haven't compared with the significant commercial products. I would hope you'd get better engraving and UI from those, though when I compared with Guitar Pro (several years ago) I found MuseScore easier to use for my needs.
No.. that fretboard gang above above the score. I want real fretboads above the melodic staff

No.. that fretboard gang above above the score. I want real fretboads above the melodic staff
Sorry. I thought you wanted diagrams as in your La Cucaracha example. If that's not what you're looking for then I have no idea what you mean by "real fretboads (sic) above the melodic staff".

Sorry. I thought you wanted diagrams as in your La Cucaracha example. If that's not what you're looking for then I have no idea what you mean by "real fretboads (sic) above the melodic staff".
I apologize. I was WRONG. You were right. Sorry. I was in a bad state last night. I apologize. I downloaded MuseScore today and created UKE TAB, melodic lines, but fretboards for uke are not included. However, you can download a uke fretboard score from their MuseScore forum and drag them into your own palette, so it works. Very easy to do. SORRY. I will include MuseScore in my tutorials. hehehe I'm very glad it works. I got lost this time.

Pete

Using Musescore too, and there is one Uke tutorial on YT (with an awful automated voice). Would be great to have more tutorials for that program, looking forward to yours, Pete!

You can download uke chord diagrams?
And I have been modifying the guitar diagrams manually the times I have used them, it seems that I am not to smart. You can remove strings etc. when editing.

I've never bothered with the chord diagram. Now I'm intrigued.

I occasional contribute bug fixes to Musescore as my way of giving back. It is a very active project. The last update included a redesigned music font, and the next version will see a major UI/UX update. They hired this guy after he posted this visous critique of the app.

Top Bottom