Mahogany and Spruce Baritone with Rope Binding - Picture Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
This was a leisury build that I did as a spec. instrument over the slow down during the holiday season and summer break here in Australia.

A 20" scale lenght baritone. Brazillian Mahogany and Sitka Spruce with rope bindings. SuppleJack (Australian hardwood) fret board, bridge and head plate veneers.

Mahogany and Sitka Baritone02.jpgMahogany and Sitka Baritone04.jpgMahogany and Sitka Baritone05.jpgMahogany and Sitka Baritone10.jpgMahogany and Sitka Baritone09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As always, a beautiful instrument. It's not hard to see why mahogany has long been a popular choice for guitars/ukes.

It's the first time that I have seen you have used a rope binding. I think you usually make your own binding/purfling: did you make this rope binding?

And how did you bend that stuff. Looks fabulous!

I had a run of rope binding made up about 12 years ago from Gurian Instruments to my specs for some Weisenborn guitars I was building. Have only used it on one other Baritone size Tenor guitar since then.

To help keep it together it's made up with a black veneer on one edge and Koa on the other. You then have a choice to what thin purfling color you want next to the soundboard. Koa pretty much disappears, black gives you just a very thin line. I prefer to use the black as it give just a bit of contrast.

It's a real challenge to bend and install. Far more difficult than more traditional bindings. It will often want to split apart at the seams of the tiles on tight bends. Those areas can be filled with sanding dust and CA to be invisible on the dark tiles. Thats why the pattern is like it is. Never two light colors next to each other.

The rosette is quite intriguing. Is there a story behind it? Head-stock profile is provocative as well. I wish I could afford such a luxurious gem!

Last edited:
Lovely rope purfling, brilliant! The rosette is quite intriguing. Is there a story behind it? Head-stock profile is provocative as well. As Sequoia mentioned, I'm sure it's quite dear; I wish I could afford such a luxurious gem!

I've been building in this style and evolving it for 12 years. Art Deco themes are my favorite.

Top Bottom