Case advice please

grintricha

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm after a hard case but I want to be able to carry quite a thick songbook with it.

Do most hard shell cases fit song books in them anyway? or I've seen some softshells with pouches.

I'm UK based if that makes a difference.

For a soprano please.

Thanks
Richard

Also in UK, and was looking for a hard case for a tenor last week.

Saw a link for a Gator Journeyman soprano case in passing for £49 rather than £69. Worth buying that and getting a shoulder bag if necessary?

UU wouldn't let me send the link, but it is with Kenny's Music, so easy to search for. Case has an excellent review at Gotaukulele, I bought the tenor size, but in a different sale.

Great name! It would surprise me if you found a hard case that you could carry a thick songbook with. There are a lot of high quality gig bags that will be easier to transport your uke, but a lot of them also do not have space for a thick songbook. For example, the Mono M80 is a great case, but that pouch barely fits a tuner and some strings. I recently saw the Gator Pro gig bag and those were really nice and the pouch expanded quite a bit, but I do not know if it would fit a thick songbook.

What size ukulele?

Maybe one of those fusion bags (or you could get a double ukulele instrument bag and use the second compartment just to carry your book.)

Good luck!
Richard

Padding thickness not mentioned, no internal picture shown. Do like to have a gander first.

Some musings
Current uke may be a £300 one, could things change in the future?

If you succumb to UAS (I think it can be transmitted via the interweb - especially from this site) then having a separate bag makes it possible to keep a tuner, stand, books and other gubbins together to take with whichever instrument you choose. Easy to upgrade to a bigger bag to add leads & other kit later on.

thanks both, maybe my requirements are not served exactly

has anybody had one of these? https://www.bandtmusic.co.uk/stagg-semi-hard-ukulele-case-soprano.html

Seems to almost fit my requirements? I guess its whether the semi hard is hard enough - my uke will be a £300 one, as opposed to a thousands of pounds one

The Stagg semi hard bag would probably be fairly protective of your uke but, depending on it’s size, your songbook may not fit in the outer pocket. The pocket seems quite deep, but given the tapered edges, it may not be wide enough or long enough. You might want to contact Stagg, or check their website, to see if you can find out the dimensions of the pocket on the soprano model case before ordering it. Just a suggestion. :)

Jan

Like others have said, and due to the width of a soprano uke and any case for one, getting an ~8"x11" or larger music book to fit inside the pocket will be difficult if not impossible.

I used to carry around a 3" thick 3-ring binder, with all the paper inside plastic sheet protectors that had the holes to mount in the rings. There was no way to carry this inside any case I owned, not even when I used to play guitar.

My solution was to get an inexpensive "messenger bag", which was not only able to hold the music binder, but also any other accessories as well.

Like others have said too, if/when you change or upgrade your uke, you do not lose the function of the accessory/messenger bag.

On Amazon, Walmart, Target here in the USA you can find all kinds of messenger bags with a shoulder strap starting at ~$20.

By changing the paradigm to include a messenger bag, you allow for many more options for any case for your uke.

So, there is hopefully some food for thought for you to consider.

Top Bottom