Thread: Current thoughts on strings for 19" Super Tenor?

Default Current thoughts on strings for 19" Super Tenor?

I've tried to dig through several old threads on strings for long neck tenors, but wondered if folks could post their current suggestions for strings for a 19" tenor? I've got one of the Kala Elite/USA Super Tenors on its way to me. It comes with a wound low G and Worth browns on the rest. These sound good in the sound samples I've heard, but I'll probably want to go with a wound C string as well at some point.

Based on past threads, it sounds like many people use the Thomastic CF30(G) and CF27(C). Is that correct?

Any other suggestions? I also wonder about trying DGBE strings on it, but want to keep the tenor brightness and I assume I'd lose that with DGBE.

Thanks!

-Brett

Quote Originally Posted by bretterb View Post
    I've tried to dig through several old threads on strings for long neck tenors, but wondered if folks could post their current suggestions for strings for a 19" tenor? I've got one of the Kala Elite/USA Super Tenors on its way to me. It comes with a wound low G and Worth browns on the rest. These sound good in the sound samples I've heard, but I'll probably want to go with a wound C string as well at some point.

Based on past threads, it sounds like many people use the Thomastic CF30(G) and CF27(C). Is that correct?

Any other suggestions? I also wonder about trying DGBE strings on it, but want to keep the tenor brightness and I assume I'd lose that with DGBE.

Thanks!

-Brett
    The ideal tuning for super tenors is a bit lower than GCEA.. I had good success with trying GCEA strings for baritone as 19 is closet to 20 than 17..
    Thomastik should work fine for both DGBE and GCEA. You can also get standard tenor strings and tune the uke half or one step down to FA#DG

Yep, I'd go CF30 and CF 27 for GCEA tuning and CF35,CF30 for D,G,B,E tuning.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 01-22-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Thread Information