Ohana vs Mainland

Whether they are made in the same factory or not, it seems that building mass produced ukuleles in China is pretty standardized. I mean, they are made by machines and the machines come from somewhere too. I doubt that the factory that manufactures the tools, molds and machines make specialized tools, molds and machines for every ukulele factory.

Whether they are made in the same factory or not, it seems that building mass produced ukuleles in China is pretty standardized. I mean, they are made by machines and the machines come from somewhere too. I doubt that the factory that manufactures the tools, molds and machines make specialized tools, molds and machines for every ukulele factory.

No quite the opposite. China is attractive for manufacturing because of its super cheap labour force. The ukes there are handcrafted by people who repeat the same motion thousands of times per day. And yes they use the same templates and tools everywhere. This is much cheaper than having expensive robots do these simple tasks but also leads to a lot of variation from unit to unit as workers get exhausted. It costs less than $5 to produce a cheap uke so the margins and profits are enormous.

Yes they may have the same machines and possibly even the same people. but... this is misses one of the most important parts of the process - final quality control. Get that wrong (and many do because they have skimped on cost) and you will get many more lousy instruments leaving the production line.

Yes they may have the same machines and possibly even the same people. but... this is misses one of the most important parts of the process - final quality control. Get that wrong (and many do because they have skimped on cost) and you will get many more lousy instruments leaving the production line.

I am extremely guilty about this thread because I, kind of, started it. In another thread I mentioned I would never think of buying an Ohana but would buy a Mainland Uke as a cheap uke. My reasoning dovetailed with that of Bazmaz: Mainland is a small, respected company (which I have actually visited); therefore they are going to be anal about branding and how their ukuleles demonstrate their commitment to the community. Whether their ukuleles are made in China or Micronesia or some sweat-shop in Toledo, they are going to make sure it is up to snuff.

I am painfully aware that this is all a bit political. I have never let my shadow fall across even the parking lot of a Walmart, let alone the interior of the place. Accordingly, I think we should all be beating down the doors of Beau Hannam or Jay Lichty to get personalized ukes from small builders. So I am all about buying local. However if that is above your budget, then the next best thing is buying from a local who has vetted international products to bring the best quality instrument to you. So all I'm saying is that I have actually looked the people of Mainland in the eye and know that it would be not be in their interests to sell you a lemon. So you can deal with them with impunity...in my opinion.

I am extremely guilty about this thread because I, kind of, started it. In another thread I mentioned I would never think of buying an Ohana but would buy a Mainland Uke as a cheap uke. My reasoning dovetailed with that of Bazmaz: Mainland is a small, respected company (which I have actually visited); therefore they are going to be anal about branding and how their ukuleles demonstrate their commitment to the community. Whether their ukuleles are made in China or Micronesia or some sweat-shop in Toledo, they are going to make sure it is up to snuff.

I am painfully aware that this is all a bit political. I have never let my shadow fall across even the parking lot of a Walmart, let alone the interior of the place. Accordingly, I think we should all be beating down the doors of Beau Hannam or Jay Lichty to get personalized ukes from small builders. So I am all about buying local. However if that is above your budget, then the next best thing is buying from a local who has vetted international products to bring the best quality instrument to you. So all I'm saying is that I have actually looked the people of Mainland in the eye and know that it would be not be in their interests to sell you a lemon. So you can deal with them with impunity...in my opinion.

Fair play to that comment - and totally agree. Of course people are free to buy where they like, but I too hold a certain regard for the smaller outfits trying to do good!

Fair play to that comment - and totally agree. Of course people are free to buy where they like, but I too hold a certain regard for the smaller outfits trying to do good!

oooh! Thanks for that. Because of you, and Samantha Muir, the love of my life is a Tinguitar custom ukulele. If my house caught on fire, I would strap on my ukulele...and then try to save the cats and the wife. If things worked out, fine; if not, at least I could play "burning down the house" by the Talking Heads as the emergency response officials arrived.

Both Mainland and Ohana are merchandising businesses. Their business is selling ukuleles, not making them. You need to stop getting the manufacturing and selling mixed up. They both order product from a foreign factory and get their brand put on the product. It matters that the factory produces good quality, but it does not matter where or what the factory is.

The people who own Ohana and who work at Ohana are just as local as the people who work at Mainland. The difference is in how they operate their merchandising business. Mainland is based around a physical shop operated as a family business, Ohana is a larger sales office distribution arrangement. So you get a different front of house service from each of them. But that does not mean either of them is more "local" than the other. Their workforce is employed in the USA, their workers get paid USD. Except the agents in other countries.

You can be sure that the factory owners hide their whereabouts and operations from the end buyers for a reason. It may be a good or bad reason. If they thought telling you about the factory could get more sales you would know all about the factories. The assumption is always that they want to hide poor treatment of workers or environmental issues. The reality may be that they may want to hide the fact that the machines are also used to make wooden stocks and parts for military weapons, it may have nothing to do with workers or the environment. We have no idea and those who know have sold out and locked themselves into confidentiality agreements.

Going back to Ohana vs Mainland, it depends what you are looking for. Each of these merchandisers has a different product range. Their target markets are not exactly the same. Look for the features you want, not the brand name.

Agree, but not completely. Unlike Ohana - Mainland take shipments of part finished ukes. They fit the type of tuners you want and do final checks in the US. Not the same as Ohana.

Not to put a spanner in the works but there are b grades of both brands. Have a google. :)

Thanks for bringing this up, I think that we, the players and consumers, should always try to be aware of these types of possible overlapping between different "brands". A valid point has been made that two brands that have their products made in the very same factory may still vary in their final quality control and setup, but I tend to think that they share the same DNA and will not differ all that much; in the end, there may be more difference between two identical models from the same brand than from two different brands that share the same factory (apart from different adornments).

To me, it is obvious that several brands share the same factory. Some of the Kala models seem to reappear with several different brand names slapped onto them, such as Lanikai, Cordoba, Flight, etc. With Ohana and Mainland)however, it seems to be different as I don't see that many intersections with those other brands.

Those of you who own a Mainland, what does it say about where it was made? I thought Mike from Mainland mentioned Vietnam a while ago, but I couldn't find anything on that anymore. Nor could I find a mention of China, for that matter. I also seem to remember though that Mainland ukes used to be made at the same factory as the Bushman brand (which was China, I think).

Just to throw this into the discussion:

The Chinese especially, but other countries as well, have thriving industries that reverse-engineers products. And in some cases, outright counterfeits them right down to original design or manufacturing flaws.

It is quite possible that designs and builds are copied and then made in totally different facilities by other companies. It wouldn't be hard for a company to trace a neck design and program a CNC machine to knock them out.

Often the exterior looks the same, but the internal parts and builds are cheaper and poorly constructed.

Cottage industries are ubiquitous in many locales. You can have multiple places all making the same piece or product using, ostensibly, identical templates, as a guide. But the results can be quite different. (Ever try on 5 pairs of blue jeans and every one fits differently?) You can have each place doing the entire ukulele, or parted out.

I'm pretty sure the necks for some brands are made by a supplier. For instance, the blanks could be made in one place, the shaping done in another, the final sanding and finishing in another. While the uke bodies and the parts made in another and then final assembly done elsewhere. With the finishing jobbed out as well. You could have one company making necks for several different brands. Perhaps to different specs. Perhaps to a standard shape.

It may or may not be one huge megalithic factory where everything is produced and assembled. Mainland being a case in point. Parts made elsewhere but assembled by Mainland in their facilities in the US.

Last edited:
Top Bottom