Ohana vs Mainland

Ukecaster

Reaction score
In a recent thread about Ohana ukes, I mentioned that their construction seemed identical to Mainland (at least at the headstock), and I had a feeling that they were probably made in the same factory. That was based on headstock shape and the construction around the nut and headstock. I added some side-by-side photos below, showing Ohana on left and Mainland on the right, both tenors (Ohana TK-35 on left, and Mainland Mango Tenor on right). To me, the headstock seems identical in shape. The headstock and nut areas also seem identical: thick fingerboard, and a thick headstock veneer, which extends down below the nut, where it meets the neck. I don't think I've seen this exact construction method on any other uke brand. Is this a common method of joining neck, fingerboard and headstock veneer?

I've owned both brands, both like this, and liked them both. I still own one Ohana tenor, although that one is older, with different construction.

Ohana & Mainland1.jpg
Ohana & Mainland2.jpg

Here's my older TK-30, from 2007

Headstock.jpg

Last edited:
Ohana is a large company and it is possible that the have their ukes produced by more than one factory. It is also well-known that large instrument factories commonly produce ukes for multiple brands. So I would not be surprised if there were also many similarities in materials, design elements, and build execution. It is likely that the factories have tooling set up for a limited number of generic ukes, that are then cosmetically modified with veneers, laser etchings, inlays, labels, etc according to the brand specs.

Ask Mike from Mainland (Hoosierhiver on here) - he's very straight and obliging.

It wouldn't surprise me that same factory is involved - end of the day - there are far fewer Chinese factories than there are ukulele brands! There's a lot of shared production going on. I once had a list of some crossovers with the Kala lines too, can't remember who they were.

The only people who know for sure what’s sold to who are those that make it and we have no window onto them - it’s commercially sensitive info too so they’re unlikely divulge anything. Clones are not unusual and sometimes past employees set up in competition to who they once worked for. Of course, just because an item is made in the same factory as another does not mean that it is made to the same detailed specification, they can look identical enough but hidden detail sometimes distinguished the two.

I’ve often wondered whether Ukuleles are played and sold in China, and if so where the associated marketplace might be. Like nearly everybody else I have too many Ukes already, but if I could just buy that special one direct then one more would sort of be OK ...

Last edited:
It's not that commercially sensitive - a chat with any brand will tell you that they all know which factory is making lines for which ukulele brands.

Throw Lani into this mix as well - had a baritone of theirs that was identical to an Ohana one aside from the badge. This is what budget brands do - source products from factories that can produce them reliably and cheaply and sell them at a mark up. It's the same with TVs, laptops, etc.

Clearwater in the UK - identical to Ohana instruments bar the name on the headstock. Except for their solid steel strung electrics which are identical to Vorson!!

I had a mainland red cedar tenor that was very similar to my Ohana TK 35G.
A2647AEF-04AC-4986-BFA3-2C68B39F5A7E.jpg

Wonder if Mike at Mainland will jump in here and enlighten us?

Ask Mike from Mainland (Hoosierhiver on here) - he's very straight and obliging.

It wouldn't surprise me that same factory is involved - end of the day - there are far fewer Chinese factories than there are ukulele brands! There's a lot of shared production going on. I once had a list of some crossovers with the Kala lines too, can't remember who they were.

I've seen Leho's that seem a whole lot like Kalas. Seeing the thinlines is what really made me aware of the similarities across the lines. For some reason, they're a bit pricier.

I’ve often wondered whether Ukuleles are played and sold in China, and if so where the associated marketplace might be. .

They absolutely are played and sold in China. I've been to a uke shop in Beijing, and I think there are plenty in other big cities, at least.

Last edited:
Definitely. Ukulele is very popular among younger generation in China. I seldom see elderlys play one. Ukulele are relatively newer introduction to China.
There are a lot of uke manufacturers in China like Anuenue, snails etc and they are doing better and better in terms of build quality, design, etc.
I believe most people buy their ukes directly from online shops like Taobao. The manufacturers have their own shops and dealers online.

I think i may be Ohana's biggest fan. I have had more Ohana's than any other brand. Its not even a budget thing as i'm a guitarist as well. You know ukuleles even high end ones are a third of the price as they are a third or there abouts of the wood.

I have/had Kiwaya, Koaloha and Timms but i love Ohana. My repeat offender ukulele is the SK35G. I have bought and sold 4. Such a bright happy tone due to the gloss. I'm keeping my 4th haha. I was going to reply on the Ohana quality thread but by the time i composed my reply in my head the thread shut.

I do believe you should buy from a good dealer. To keep prices down the setup seems minimal. I bought one from another dealer to my usual and the setup was not so good. I'm excited to see what NAMM brings.

I’m interested in buying a mahogany soprano. I’m wondering if I should go with Mainland or Ohana sk-35G

I’m interested in buying a mahogany soprano. I’m wondering if I should go with Mainland or Ohana sk-35G

I haven't had a mainland so can't comment. Try a SK35G and put Martin M600's on it. Looks stunning with the gloss and sounds very ukulele with good balance across the strings. Nice and bright.

I haven't had a mainland so can't comment. Try a SK35G and put Martin M600's on it. Looks stunning with the gloss and sounds very ukulele with good balance across the strings. Nice and bright.

I keep hearing good things about sk35, but I Am also very fond of my mainland. It’s tough.

I keep hearing good things about sk35, but I Am also very fond of my mainland. It’s tough.

They are not K brand prices. I sold my last SK35G in 35 minutes on a for sale site. Can't lose. Plus you got 14 day returns online. :)

Not selling my current one ever again. Plus i just got an insane deal on a SK28 with all the rope binding. Actually feel guilty it was such a good deal. :)

FWIW - i'd take a Mainland over an equivalent Ohana every time. But that's just me. Like the smaller brand element and more personal final QC check. They are both good brands though.

They absolutely are played and sold in China. I've been to a uke shop in Beijing, and I think there are plenty in other big cities, at least.

Many thanks for this, and to Puglele too. Very handy tip about Taobao, never heard of them before. I wonder what Chinese manufacturers have on-line sites and whether they sell direct into the West. Shipping and customs duty probably make it uneconomic but all information has value and sometimes direct purchases of small items have worked well for me.

I did a search for Ukulele shops in Beijing and came across this link and that there is a Ukulele Club in Beijing too: http://ukulelelanguages.com/ukulele-languages/visit-a-ukulele-shop-in-beijing-china/

Apologies for any thread drift.

I see relatively few Mainland Ukes here in the UK and more Ohana, but Ohana have a stronger entry level presence and hence the greater availability of that brand. If I were to be paying Mainland type money for a Soprano Uke then I’d want friction pegs on it, I normally use geared tuners but even cheap but well sorted friction tuners have something about them that adds to the playing experience.

Mainland don’t appear to list their neck width, if it isn’t wider than the Ohana (34mm IIRC) then I’d buy neither for my use. YMMV.

Last edited:
Mainland don’t appear to list their neck width, if it isn’t wider than the Ohana (34mm IIRC) then I’d buy neither for my use. YMMV.

The standard Mainland soprano nut width is 35mm. They offer friction pegs as a choice when ordering.

Top Bottom