Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Martin S-1 online?

If you go the Elderly route, they sometimes use generic photos, so ask for a pic of the actual instrument. Personally, I like the looks/woods of the older ones, when they often used nice dark rosewood for the fingerboards, and seemed to have nice dark mahogany too, compared to the current offering.
    John

This is a common uke and available at almost all respectable retailers, such as Sweetwater, SamAsh, MaurysMusic, ZZsounds, Guitarcenter etc . A quick search found that they all have the same price of $419, but may have slight differences in shipping costs and customer service.

Thanks all. I'm leaning to Elderly Music. As I said, I think if everyone buys from Mim's Big Uke Store, the end result is monopoly and not so good, just imho.
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Thanks all. I'm leaning to Elderly Music. As I said, I think if everyone buys from Mim's Big Uke Store, the end result is monopoly and not so good, just imho.
    Under that reasoning, I would think you would buy from Mim. She is a single operator using her house as her business site and personally sets up each ukulele that she sells. That limits her volume of sales. She has this stellar reputation for her service which is why you see so many recommendations here.

I have to agree with some of the other comments. I haven't bought from Mim, although I came close a couple times. And there was once or twice where she dropped the ball with emails, though this has happened to me with just about every retailer and builder that I've contacted, including HMS and Uke Republic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of those three or my local ukulele shop just to support smaller businesses, and I do when they have what I'm looking for.

I don't think Mim is even close to having a monopoly. In fact, I think her weekly cap limits her from doing more business (while ensuring more attention to each setup and sale). I would imagine that cap prevents her business from growing much larger. But it probably also gives her a good work-life balance and is a factor in why she has such a loyal following on UU.

Totally your prerogative not to buy from Mim, but I think if preventing a monopoly is your thing, she would be preferable to one of the many big corporations you can purchase Martins from.

I've heard good things about Elderly, too. But if you want a different mom and pop shop, check Reverb. I bought my Martin from a small music store that I found on Reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Haha, we certainly like to focus on what we know. I had never heard of "Uke Like The Pros" web store before someone mentioned it in the marketplace a few days ago. I'm not recommending them (for or against) as I know nothing about them except that YouTube likes to recommend his videos. Mim is pretty much a one person operation as far as I can tell, so I don't think she could corner the market if she tried. Does Uke Republic sell Martins? Could be another option.
    I was attempting to be sarcastic... However, I actually purchased a Tiny Tenor 6 from Uke Like The Pros last year when HMS went out of stock. His price was higher and I had to pay for shipping to boot. Unfortunately USPS lost my TT6 for a month and then delivered a crushed (!) box with a busted up instrument! ULTP was very good about it and sent me a return label and refunded my money. I also bought something from Uke Republic when, again, HMS was out of stock and they were prompt in delivery. However, nuttin' beats a short drive to HMS to actually try out an instrument, and they're always willing to sweeten the deal, especially if you're a repeat customer.

Not everybody buys from Min's. Not danced that tune yet...

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    I was attempting to be sarcastic... However, I actually purchased a Tiny Tenor 6 from Uke Like The Pros last year when HMS went out of stock. His price was higher and I had to pay for shipping to boot. Unfortunately USPS lost my TT6 for a month and then delivered a crushed (!) box with a busted up instrument! ULTP was very good about it and sent me a return label and refunded my money. I also bought something from Uke Republic when, again, HMS was out of stock and they were prompt in delivery. However, nuttin' beats a short drive to HMS to actually try out an instrument, and they're always willing to sweeten the deal, especially if you're a repeat customer.

Not everybody buys from Min's. Not danced that tune yet...
    I'm sure I speak for a lot of people, when I say I'm more than a little envious of anyone who can drive to HMS! Good information on ULTP. They look like they have a decent selection. I've bought two from HMS and three from Mim and like both shops, but shipping to Canada works out a bit better for me with Mim and I was buying Ohanas from her, which HMS doesn't have. I'm fine with trying someone else if I hear good things about the dealer.

Mainly though, I just want an awesome shop I can drive to (just one quarter as awesome as HMS will do).
    Glenn

Actually, I'm about a 20 minute walk from HMS but I try not to visit too often for obvious reasons...

I'm hundreds of miles from a good uke shop. . . and not many uke shops carry more than one or two of any particular model.

What's the best way to buy a Martin S-1?

On-line? Drive all day and hope to see a couple?
    I've bought over a hundred ukes online. No problems yet. Assuming the uke isn't damaged, it should be fine - from a local store or an online seller. See what kind of return policy the seller has.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I’m kind of surprised that anyone could think of Mim being a big Uke store, to my perspective it’s near a one person show in a shop that’s tucked any in some remote location. Now Elderly is a big music store and certainly massive compared to Mim, I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold ten times more Ukes than Mim too.

Mim’s known to us here because she caters for the on-line community of enthusiasts that is UU, she delivers guaranteed quality via mail order and that high quality is regularly verified by folk here. To be honest the best way to avoid monopoly is to support small suppliers like Mim; I don’t like discrimination but women do suffer discrimination against them so there is case to be made for fighting that (discrimination) by buying from her too. YMMV.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 01-25-2020 at 01:07 AM.

Thread Information