Kala Elite Series

chr66is

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Kala Elite Maple Super Tenor, but I really don't know anyone that has experience with Kala's elite series. Pricewise, they're similar to the K's, I'm just not sure if they're worth it. Anyone have any ideas on the Kala Elites?

I own an Elite soprano, in koa, from 2017. It was my first "really nice" instrument, and I can say it is great! Well crafted, great sound. They have changed a few things since then including a new internal bracing design and wider nuts. (I think they may still have two different nut widths? That might just have been when they were transitioning from the old nut width...) The Hawaii Music Supply folks had good things to say about the new bracing when it was introduced. I don't own, but have played, a concert koa with the new bracing, and it sings beautifully.

If there is an Elite you are interested in, I would certainly recommend them. They are well made by people who really care. They are a big step up from the factory made ones in their lower price lines. Not that I think the lower end Kala instruments are bad, just that these are on another level.

They don't appear to currently have a soprano in the Elite series. I have the ASOV-S, which was one of their limited edition ukuleles. It is a very nice instrument. I would certainly consider the Elite.

I'm actually hoping to buy a soprano.

I had a good look at a tenor and it was through-and-through wonderful and without any doubt a marvelous instrument. Not only looked stupendous, but sounded even more so. It was great. Shoulda bought it, but I'm not a tenor player really.

I like sopranos.

I own three Kala Elite tenors—two Doghair and one Koa—and they're wonderful instruments: quality construction, plenty of dynamic range and handsome. One thing that attracted me was the beefy neck: so comfortable for those of us used to classical guitar necks. I wrote a review of my new 2019 Doghair:

https://fraryguitar.com/kala_elite_doghair.htm

I think they are great values and really like their X- bracing. I have a spruce/myrtle 19" tenor and it sounds great, has good playability, has a very attractive set of myrtle, and is well-crafted, craftsmanship is excellent.

I've played a few of the Elite series and they are very nice instruments (love the width at the nut too). My only concern would be resale, as I don't know if they hold their value as well as the "Ks". But if that isn't likely to be an issue, I would say go for it.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm gonna consider the Kala and maybe look out for a used Kanilea Super Tenor if I decide for koa.

I've got a Kala Elite/USA Torrefied Spruce / Ebony Super Tenor coming via UPS today. I'll let you know what I think after I've had some time with it. It was kind of pricey, so I hope I'm impressed! :)

-Brett

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm gonna consider the Kala and maybe look out for a used Kanilea Super Tenor if I decide for koa.

Keep in mind that the Elites and Kanileas have very different sounds. The Elites are more open, while the Kanileas are more focused and intense. The necks on the Elites are thicker than the Kanileas. They are both great instruments that are high quality in build, but produce very different sounds. Maybe you need one of both!

Top Bottom