Thread: UkaMike

Default UkaMike

New to Ukulele and all instruments. so this is very exciting.
    Thank you for accepting me in.

I am looking at a ukulele to buy from a local guy, a Mele Double Pukka wit h Koa trim. he wanted $200 but is accepting $150, is this a good ukulele or should I look for another even if its more money? thank anyone in advance for their reply.

Hi UkaMike!

Welcome to UU.
    Unfortunately I am not familiar with the brand myself. But if he is local you can try it out in person. Take a tuner or download an app and meet up. Ask him to demonstrate the instrument if you're a real newbie. A demo of both strumming and fingerpicking will give you a good idea. Join a local uke group if possible. There may also be players selling off less-played instruments for various reasons.
    Good luck

Welcome UkaMike!

thank you, all great information. I was hoping I found the right forum to join, looks like a lot of them out there. but this one seems to have more up to date post and well thought out.

I looked up the Pukka and didn't see one by that model name. Mele is a good brand. By double Pukka, is it an 8 string or double hole? If 8 string, it's like a 12 string guitar, a person either loves them or doesn't like them. I doubt you'd find another 150.00 uke the same quality as the Mele. I have a 6 string Mele a friend dropped off for me to clean up and sell for her. It's a really nice little instrument.

For 150 bucks and it looks okay to you, I'd grab it and throw on a set of new strings. I've yet to see a uke that's been really mistreated. A Mele double hole soprano starts at 299.00. This won't be your last one anyway... Just the beginning.

Welcome to the Forum, you did find the right one.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 01-24-2020 at 06:31 AM.

I think Pukka means hole, so this is a double hole concert size Ukulele.
    I think its mahogany with koa trimmed banding. here are two pics Mele Double Puka Concert.jpg
    Side shot of Mele Double Puka Concert.jpg

Sorry another question, I am reading that most do not like the friction tuners, like this one. should I look for the other type, or because this is a better brand I wont have to worry about any issues?

Nah, no problem with friction tuners. If they get loose, just tighten them up a bit. If you find you don't like them doesn't take much to change them out. I feel it a great deal for you. I buy a lot of ukes to sell to the new people starting out in our group. I'd buy this one in an instant.

Welcome to UU Mike
    Penny

Welcome to the forums. I have the Mele soprano double hole in mahogany with ebony. I think it is a wonderful ukulele.
    - Laura

Martin, KoAloha, Brueko, Mele, Mainland, Outdoor, Kala, Enya, Harmony, Tempo, Globe, Vega, Silvertone, Kay, Luna, Zither Heaven, First Act

Thread Information