UkaMike

UkaMike

Reaction score
New to Ukulele and all instruments. so this is very exciting.
Thank you for accepting me in.

I am looking at a ukulele to buy from a local guy, a Mele Double Pukka wit h Koa trim. he wanted $200 but is accepting $150, is this a good ukulele or should I look for another even if its more money? thank anyone in advance for their reply.

Hi UkaMike!

Welcome to UU.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the brand myself. But if he is local you can try it out in person. Take a tuner or download an app and meet up. Ask him to demonstrate the instrument if you're a real newbie. A demo of both strumming and fingerpicking will give you a good idea. Join a local uke group if possible. There may also be players selling off less-played instruments for various reasons.
Good luck

thank you, all great information. I was hoping I found the right forum to join, looks like a lot of them out there. but this one seems to have more up to date post and well thought out.

I looked up the Pukka and didn't see one by that model name. Mele is a good brand. By double Pukka, is it an 8 string or double hole? If 8 string, it's like a 12 string guitar, a person either loves them or doesn't like them. I doubt you'd find another 150.00 uke the same quality as the Mele. I have a 6 string Mele a friend dropped off for me to clean up and sell for her. It's a really nice little instrument.

For 150 bucks and it looks okay to you, I'd grab it and throw on a set of new strings. I've yet to see a uke that's been really mistreated. A Mele double hole soprano starts at 299.00. This won't be your last one anyway... Just the beginning.

Welcome to the Forum, you did find the right one.

Last edited:
I think Pukka means hole, so this is a double hole concert size Ukulele.
I think its mahogany with koa trimmed banding. here are two pics Mele Double Puka Concert.jpg
Side shot of Mele Double Puka Concert.jpg

Sorry another question, I am reading that most do not like the friction tuners, like this one. should I look for the other type, or because this is a better brand I wont have to worry about any issues?

Nah, no problem with friction tuners. If they get loose, just tighten them up a bit. If you find you don't like them doesn't take much to change them out. I feel it a great deal for you. I buy a lot of ukes to sell to the new people starting out in our group. I'd buy this one in an instant.

Welcome to the forums. I have the Mele soprano double hole in mahogany with ebony. I think it is a wonderful ukulele.

Top Bottom