Kanile’a KSR-T NUD

Kibes37

Reaction score
I mean c’mon this thing is ridiculous. I love every single thing about it. I had Joel at HMS put Hard Tension Uke Logic strings on it and they are quickly becoming my favorite. I really like his experience with set ups and string combos making my string choices. The set up is 2nd to none as most of you know if you’ve dealt with HMS.

The tone is sweet and the sustain floats on. This is my first high grade tenor. I tried a cheap amazon tenor and quickly decided the size wasn’t for me. I think I was so put off by my previous guitar experience, I wanted to enjoy the smaller Ukulele sizes more. Well... Tenor is now my favorite. So much so I am selling all my nice Concerts and my one nice Soprano. I actually still really enjoy those smaller sizes, but this is a good opportunity for me to thin the heard. Plus, I just ordered a Farralon with all the bells and whistles ;) I will come back to a nice Concert and or Soprano no doubt in my mind later down the road.

Back to my pride and Joy. This Kanile’a is so comfortable to play with the bevel and the overall body size. I can easily play it for hrs standing or sitting. The strings are harder to fret with the increased tension, but definitively more dynamic at softer plucks and strums as stated on the HMS Podcast. When dug into it rips as well. It can be sweet or cool and mean. I’m definitely a fan of silk necks, but don’t mind the gloss on my other ukes either. Don’t get me started on the slotted headstock! Man, I’ve been wanting one, although I’m not sure its not just ascetics. Not sure the break angle does much, but then again I’m new to it.

I posted a vid playing it in the video section of the forum, although it’s plugged in and most people probably are not interested in that. Haven’t recorded a unplugged sample yet. Here is the original HMS link.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...lothead-tenor-ksr-t-tru-r-prem-g-s-22251.html

I don’t think I could love the wood grain more as well. It’s pretty perfect to me.

(P.S. The HMS description is wrong it has Mother of Pearl Dots and K inlay, which I also adore and are great for low light)

Thx for taking the time to read my NUD.

Last edited:
Nice! Love the flames koa. I love the way the slotted headstock looks, but I’m not used to swapping strings on slotted headstocks so I have to look at YouTube videos to make sure I’m doing it right.

Congrats! Looks like a nice one!

Thx ghostrdr and yes I will be on YouTube taking my time to learn when string changes are due. Interested to hear this Uke in low G in the future as well.

Congrats on finding this beautiful uke! Looks like a winner.

I posted a vid playing it in the video section of the forum, although it’s plugged in and most people probably are not interested in that. Haven’t recorded a unplugged sample yet.

I'm struggling to find this and I'm very keen to see it. It is a beautiful instrument.

I appreciate all the kind words and this community in general. I feel very grateful to have this Uke to grow with.

Beautiful looking Kanile'a. Sounds terrific as well.

Did you have the Uke Logic strings on it when you recorded it?

Gee whiz, that's nice....congrats!
I bet that kicked your UAS in it's UAss....

Sidebar.......Hodge thanks for posting the reference to Kanile’a and Taylor. I’d never seen that article. Totally makes sense and I like how honest Bob Taylor is. I also like that he refers Kanile’a, their philosophy’s are same and Bob authorized the training of Kanile’a employee on finishing ukes like Taylor guitar , finish wise.

Totally makes sense when you look at the cost to tool up, the commitment. Maybe guitar makers aren’t the best makers of ukuleles. I guess Martin might be exception but their commitment is to the same few models they have always made. A little diversion into HPL but they were doing it on guitars first.

We are lucky in Uke community to have the great makers and choices we have. And while many think there isn’t much innovation, there certainly is a dedication to the Uke.

Wow that really is a looker, beautiful wood and appointments, the complete package. Very nice sound sample of it plugged it, enjoy your new beauty for many years to come

That is a beautiful uke! I also have a KSR-T and mine has a pale sap stripe that I'm a sucker for. Also I kid myself into seeing a bird in the back grain :D :haha
I can only put it down to the new bracing but I love the new kanile'as, the sound seems so much more resonant.
Congrats on a great purchase!

Ha, I have yet to treat it like a “Magic Eye” painting, but I’m sure I’ll discover some hidden creatures in the grain soon ;) I do like those sap strips as well! Thanks for the reply

Congrats on a beautiful instrument! A friend of mine has a new KSR-T and let me play it, and it does sound more resonant than previous Kanile'a Tenors.

Nice! Love the flames koa. I love the way the slotted headstock looks, but I’m not used to swapping strings on slotted headstocks so I have to look at YouTube videos to make sure I’m doing it right.

Congrats! Looks like a nice one!

I think this MyaMoe video is one of the best I have seen on restringing a slotted headstock ukulele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nrCvmcY9oA

I don't think it's any more difficult than restringing a standard paddle headstock. A little fiddley. But not a big deal. I try to keep the strings from rubbing against the wood center part as well.

Top Bottom