Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: String-Tie beads

Default String-Tie beads

Anyone tried these? I found a set in my drawer, came in a case with some uke I bought. I've never tried them, but supposedly, they increase the angle over the saddle very slightly, compared to a standard tie bar knot, which pulls the string up. The ad also says "It enhances sound by focusing tension on the end of the bridge". I'd never buy these, but since I have them on hand, I'll probably try them eventually, maybe when I have a set of strings I want to reuse, but they're too short. Of course, many probably consider these ugly, snakeoil, and a product in search of an issue to solve. Many think that any changes behind the nut or saddle have no effect.

String-Tie1.JPG
    String-Tie2.jpg

Here's my tie bar bridge, with standard knot. You can see how the knot pulls the string up slightly, decreasing the angle over the saddle.

Bridge3.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-24-2020 at 10:34 AM.
    John

I use them on my Farallon. It's probably my poor technique, but I found the standard tie bar knots on the top of the traditional bridge to irritate the heck out of my forearm. At first I solved the problem by just passing the string through the hole and tying a really big stopper knot, but that can be a bit of a challenge on the A string. I thought these string ties would look better than just using spherical beads, and the result is (I think) not noticeable at all. Though the ones I use are a slightly different "low profile" design that do stick out a bit less than the ones you show. As for the string angle over the saddle, it does make a difference in the angle of the string, but I can't imagine you'd be able to hear it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by besley; 01-24-2020 at 11:25 AM.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I have them on one uke that I took in trade. I'm not buying the "enhances sound" argument. The only benefit to me is that it's a little easier to tie the knot and clip the end away from the uke. But mostly i agree it is a solution in search of a problem.
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

I have both types. My two Pono tenors with tie bridge has the string ties. They work fantastic. Very easy and quick to change strings. I can change high G to low g and still Change back. If I put a set of strings and I am not happy with them. I can change out pretty easily.

I have the Rosetta diamond bead black ones on my Tiny Tenor, string thru bridge and they also work excellent.

They are way better than round beads and toeing a knot. I can’t say they change the sound. Just very convenient to use.

I’m a big fan.

I can tie string on to the tie bridge no problem. I’ve done a zillion changes but these just make string changes faster and nice clean look at the bridge.

My .02 cents worth!

I use Rosette tie beads on a few of my instruments. They're especially useful for older bridges that have a lot wear on the holes. After a few decades the string will grind the hole so big the string literally begins to tear through the top of the tie bar area. The Rosette bead distributes the force of the string across a larger area and virtually eliminates hole wear. Here's what they look like on my 7-string guitar:

You can use regular beads from a bead shop, albeit the tie is more complicated:

I have the Rosette beads also. I used them on an older instrument that had a slightly damaged bridge. They worked great. I’ve had no need for them on other instruments.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I once wanted to reuse some strings from a string through bridge uke on a tie-bar bridge uke. I didn't have enough length to tie them properly, so I just left the beads on and strung them as shown by Gochugogi in his second photo. It works well. I don't think it's worth buying special beads though. Just use regular ones for a fraction of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    ...You can use regular beads from a bead shop, albeit the tie is more complicated:

Thanks for sharing this method and photos

Can you share instructions or a link (or video) for how to tie those knots on the standard round beads?

It's not obvious to me, so I apologize if it is a simpler method than I can fathom.

Thanks in advance
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanks View Post
    I have them on one uke that I took in trade. I'm not buying the "enhances sound" argument. The only benefit to me is that it's a little easier to tie the knot and clip the end away from the uke. But mostly i agree it is a solution in search of a problem.
    I like to get some beads to use on ukes that have bridge holes that are large in relation to the size of the strings. I have to keep tying chunkier knots to keep the strings from being pulled into the bridge.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I like to get some beads to use on ukes that have bridge holes that are large in relation to the size of the strings. I have to keep tying chunkier knots to keep the strings from being pulled into the bridge.
    Good point, Jerry. If the bridge starts showing signs of wear, the beads are a solid option.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Thread Information