String-Tie beads

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Anyone tried these? I found a set in my drawer, came in a case with some uke I bought. I've never tried them, but supposedly, they increase the angle over the saddle very slightly, compared to a standard tie bar knot, which pulls the string up. The ad also says "It enhances sound by focusing tension on the end of the bridge". I'd never buy these, but since I have them on hand, I'll probably try them eventually, maybe when I have a set of strings I want to reuse, but they're too short. Of course, many probably consider these ugly, snakeoil, and a product in search of an issue to solve. Many think that any changes behind the nut or saddle have no effect.

String-Tie1.JPG
String-Tie2.jpg

Here's my tie bar bridge, with standard knot. You can see how the knot pulls the string up slightly, decreasing the angle over the saddle.

Bridge3.jpg

Last edited:
I use them on my Farallon. It's probably my poor technique, but I found the standard tie bar knots on the top of the traditional bridge to irritate the heck out of my forearm. At first I solved the problem by just passing the string through the hole and tying a really big stopper knot, but that can be a bit of a challenge on the A string. I thought these string ties would look better than just using spherical beads, and the result is (I think) not noticeable at all. Though the ones I use are a slightly different "low profile" design that do stick out a bit less than the ones you show. As for the string angle over the saddle, it does make a difference in the angle of the string, but I can't imagine you'd be able to hear it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JH3KWD0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Farallon Bridge Knots.jpg
    Farallon Bridge Knots.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Farallon String-Tie Beads.jpg
    Farallon String-Tie Beads.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I have them on one uke that I took in trade. I'm not buying the "enhances sound" argument. The only benefit to me is that it's a little easier to tie the knot and clip the end away from the uke. But mostly i agree it is a solution in search of a problem.

I have both types. My two Pono tenors with tie bridge has the string ties. They work fantastic. Very easy and quick to change strings. I can change high G to low g and still Change back. If I put a set of strings and I am not happy with them. I can change out pretty easily.

I have the Rosetta diamond bead black ones on my Tiny Tenor, string thru bridge and they also work excellent.

They are way better than round beads and toeing a knot. I can’t say they change the sound. Just very convenient to use.

I’m a big fan.

I can tie string on to the tie bridge no problem. I’ve done a zillion changes but these just make string changes faster and nice clean look at the bridge.

My .02 cents worth!

I use Rosette tie beads on a few of my instruments. They're especially useful for older bridges that have a lot wear on the holes. After a few decades the string will grind the hole so big the string literally begins to tear through the top of the tie bar area. The Rosette bead distributes the force of the string across a larger area and virtually eliminates hole wear. Here's what they look like on my 7-string guitar:

Kremona_CW_7_bridge_1264sm.jpg

You can use regular beads from a bead shop, albeit the tie is more complicated:

Hirade_TH8SS_bridge_3217sm.jpg

I have the Rosette beads also. I used them on an older instrument that had a slightly damaged bridge. They worked great. I’ve had no need for them on other instruments.

I once wanted to reuse some strings from a string through bridge uke on a tie-bar bridge uke. I didn't have enough length to tie them properly, so I just left the beads on and strung them as shown by Gochugogi in his second photo. It works well. I don't think it's worth buying special beads though. Just use regular ones for a fraction of the cost.

...You can use regular beads from a bead shop, albeit the tie is more complicated:

Hirade_TH8SS_bridge_3217sm.jpg

Thanks for sharing this method and photos :)

Can you share instructions or a link (or video) for how to tie those knots on the standard round beads?

It's not obvious to me, so I apologize if it is a simpler method than I can fathom.

Thanks in advance :music:

I have them on one uke that I took in trade. I'm not buying the "enhances sound" argument. The only benefit to me is that it's a little easier to tie the knot and clip the end away from the uke. But mostly i agree it is a solution in search of a problem.

I like to get some beads to use on ukes that have bridge holes that are large in relation to the size of the strings. I have to keep tying chunkier knots to keep the strings from being pulled into the bridge.

I like to get some beads to use on ukes that have bridge holes that are large in relation to the size of the strings. I have to keep tying chunkier knots to keep the strings from being pulled into the bridge.

Good point, Jerry. If the bridge starts showing signs of wear, the beads are a solid option.

I had an old classic guitar that had a belly, so the saddle on the bridge was sanded down as much as was possible but still I had almost no break angle on the strings when tied in normally but the use of beads got me some angle again.

Had a used set of strings (Sugars) with knots on the ends from a slot bridge, and wanted to try them on a uke with a tie bar bridge. Although I still have that set of special string beads shown in first post, I just tried these strings with knots, and it seems to work fine, so not sure what the tie bar style wrap brings to the party, if anything. Although it's a new uke, you can already see the divots on the top edge of the bridge from the original string wraps.
20221023_001551.jpg

knots1.jpg

Last edited:
I bought some of those beads, and when I restrung our Requinto, I used them. I didn't do a great job, but I do actually really like to use them. I'd purchased a second set for one of our ukes that has a string tie bridge, and I plan to use them when I next change those strings. Interesting about just using knots; why not?

I have both types. My two Pono tenors with tie bridge has the string ties. They work fantastic. Very easy and quick to change strings. I can change high G to low g and still Change back. If I put a set of strings and I am not happy with them. I can change out pretty easily.

I have the Rosetta diamond bead black ones on my Tiny Tenor, string thru bridge and they also work excellent.

They are way better than round beads and toeing a knot. I can’t say they change the sound. Just very convenient to use.

I’m a big fan.

I can tie string on to the tie bridge no problem. I’ve done a zillion changes but these just make string changes faster and nice clean look at the bridge.

My .02 cents worth!
Agree with everything you’ve said here. My Romero Creations Signature Soprano is strung through the bridge, and I feel so much better knowing that a nice flat Diamond bead is holding the string from inside, not a knot that might bury itself in the wood.

I have a set on my Clearwater baritone and really like them. For me, I like the clean, finished look. 20210723_162036.jpg

I prefer the traditional slotted bridge design for ukes. But I also find the tie bar easiest and quickest for changing strings. Complicating the simple tie bar set up with knots and beads for me seems a step in the wrong direction. And it sure ain't pretty.

I have a set on my Martin 1T IZ tenor. The tie bridge was so poorly made that the strings that were on it when I got it straight from Nazareth, PA had already chewed depressions into the wood. The String Tie ends work great.

The directions make putting them on the strings look much more complicated than it really is.

I bought some of those beads, and when I restrung our Requinto, I used them. I didn't do a great job, but I do actually really like to use them. I'd purchased a second set for one of our ukes that has a string tie bridge, and I plan to use them when I next change those strings. Interesting about just using knots; why not?
I’ve a couple of cheap sopranos strung up using knots; that method is a useful alternative and particularly so for using pre-used strings. Rather than using beads I’ve used small plain washers to just spread the load and prevent damage - to me anything much more complex than that might be a solution looking for a problem.

Maybe it’s bad luck or a particular string material (which wouldn’t be fair to name) but I’ve had a couple of thin strings break at the knots. I like to keep things as simple as is possible and my own first preference is for tie around bridges, of course some other methods can be perfectly fine too. A few people have remarked about strings digging into tie around bridges, I’ve not really found that issue but so long as the strings hold (don’t slip) then it‘s surely on the list of stuff that’s not worth further thought.

Last edited:
I’ve a couple of cheap sopranos strung up using knots; that method is a useful alternative. Rather than using beads I’ve used small plain washers to just spread the load and prevent damage - to me anything much more complex than that might be a solution looking for a problem.

Maybe it’s bad luck or a particular string material (Nylgut) but I’ve had a couple of thin strings break at the knots. I like to keep things as simple as is possible and my own first preference is for tie around bridges, of course some other methods can be perfectly fine too. A few people have remarked about strings digging into tie around bridges, I’ve not really found that issue but so long as the strings hold (don’t slip) then it‘s surely on the list of stuff that’s not worth further thought.
The beads give you a defined bending radius of the string, whereas the knot will give very sharp bends facilitating breaks.

On a normal piece of string or rope, a knot will reduce the breaking strength to half.

Top Bottom