Cutaway Aesthetics

snowdenn

Reaction score
A while back I thought about putting in an order for a soprano Oreo or Homestead from Bonanza. There were fewer options with the Homestead, since that was the point, but they included a cutaway option even for the soprano, which I thought about doing.

I don't think I've come across many sopranos with a cutaway. In fact, nothing immediately comes to mind. I realize with 12 frets, it's not really as necessary, but even for 17, I can't think of a regular, production ukulele with a cutaway that's a soprano.

Is that just cause it looks weird? I see them more often on tenors, even though they usually have longer necks. You would think an instrument with a shorter neck, like a soprano, would need the cutaway more if the fretboard goes past 12.

Same with pineapples. I've seen a scallop on one, once, which didn't look terrible. But I guess a pineapple with cutaway would look odd.

Anybody out there with a soprano cutaway that wasn't custom built? Or even a custom one for that matter. I'm curious how (un)popular cutaways are on sopranos, and if it's just a matter of aesthetics.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it, but can't think of what model/make.

What occurs to me is there is less of a reach across a small soprano body, so maybe not too many people are asking for it? That and the tiny fret spacing past 12, probably not too many soprano players interested in playing up there.

Haha Ed, the UkeSAs are why I'm asking. I'm starting to second guessing myself. Are the last two the same Banger? The middle picture looks like the bouts are the same size; the last picture has a wider lower bout.
Tell Pops to get some rest!

I am not sure if the last two are the very same uke-- but these are the original look. The first is the slant-away which works as a cutaway for both right and left-handed players. Did you see my email to you from Pops? He is fully engaged and ready to go with Florentine, Venetian, slant-away, figure 8. Whatever you choose, should you decide to go with one from Pops. An interesting point, in my experience, some say the cutaway diminishes the sound a bit, but others say there is no change. Now, to throw another log in the fire, we are hearing that the slant-away is tonally better than even the figure 8. GO FIGURE - LOL I think a lot just depends on the aesthetic you like, and want, especially for a custom uke.

Last edited:
There are/were sopranos with cutaways. Some Sopranos have more than 12 frets.

Some off top of my head, Mahalo LP ukulele, Paulele, Seagull acoustic-electric ukulele.. etc

I am not sure if the last two are the very same uke-- but these are the original look. The first is the slant-away which works as a cutaway for both right and left-handed players. Did you see my email to you from Pops? He is fully engaged and ready to go with Florentine, Venetian, slant-away, figure 8. Whatever you choose, should you decide to go with one from Pops. An interesting point, in my experience, some say the cutaway diminishes the sound a bit, but others say there is no change. Now, to throw another log in the fire, we are hearing that the slant-away is tonally better than even the figure 8. GO FIGURE - LOL I think a lot just depends on the aesthetic you like, and want, especially for a custom uke.

That slant-away sop from Pops looks so cool, and I bet the tone/volume is outstanding, although I prefer the more standard rounded headstock option.

AO uke.JPG

Last edited:
That slant-away sop from Pops looks so cool, and I bet the tone/volume is outstanding, although I prefer the more standard rounded headstock option.

View attachment 124786

I compared the AO slant-away with the WOW standard bodyshape. The difference in shape between the two was much less than I thought (see photos) with the rounded part in the upper bout being cut slightly to produce the slant-away. Not sure if there is a volume difference... maybe the WOW is louder, but mostly irrelevant as both can boom. I placed the AO directly on top of the WOW. Lower bouts matched perfectly. Waist between them a touch larger on the WOW. I preferred the tone of the AO but they were more the same then different. When fingering the upper frets, the slant-away made a significant difference, essentially removing the part of the body that the hand near the pinky and ring fingers would hang up on.

untitled-3083.jpg

untitled-3077.jpg

untitled-3075.jpg

Last edited:
I love the AO slant-away (Xmas tree) soprano. Really unique. What a great idea. Pops is one of the most innovative and creative builders I know of.

Always pushing the envelope.

Top Bottom