Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutaway Aesthetics

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    That slant-away sop from Pops looks so cool, and I bet the tone/volume is outstanding, although I prefer the more standard rounded headstock option.

Attachment 124786
    I compared the AO slant-away with the WOW standard bodyshape. The difference in shape between the two was much less than I thought (see photos) with the rounded part in the upper bout being cut slightly to produce the slant-away. Not sure if there is a volume difference... maybe the WOW is louder, but mostly irrelevant as both can boom. I placed the AO directly on top of the WOW. Lower bouts matched perfectly. Waist between them a touch larger on the WOW. I preferred the tone of the AO but they were more the same then different. When fingering the upper frets, the slant-away made a significant difference, essentially removing the part of the body that the hand near the pinky and ring fingers would hang up on.

untitled-3083.jpg

untitled-3077.jpg

untitled-3075.jpg
    Last edited by rainbow21; 01-26-2020 at 02:19 PM.

I love the AO slant-away (Xmas tree) soprano. Really unique. What a great idea. Pops is one of the most innovative and creative builders I know of.

Always pushing the envelope.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information