Martin S1 vs Ohana soild mahoganies

emarcano

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like to get a solid mahogany soprano (maybe just a solid top) and I'm curious about the Martin S1 or some of the Ohana's.

Ohana produces several solid tops: sk20, sk35, sk35g, sk38, sk39.

I wonder how any of these Ohanas compare in sound to the Martin.

I'm not into a vintage Martin, nor I care about ornamentation. Just plain mahogany.

Thanks

Eugenio

I would get the Martin , you won't regret it. The Martin has a bit wider nut , it's just better overall.

I've reviewed several of these models on Got A Ukulele - for me I have yet to find an Ohana soprano that comes close. That's not to say the Ohana's are bad instruments, but they fell short of the Martin on tone for me and certainly on the quality of build. Reviews of the ones I looked at (including the Martin) on the link in my signature.

I agree that a Martin would be a better choice for the reasons mentioned. I would not discount the idea of a vintage Martin. You can sometimes find one that works well at a good price.

Most of the Ohanas you mention, except the SK-20 have solid sides and back too. I haven't noticed imperfections in any of my Ohanas, but then I don't look for perfection in my instrument either. An obvious flaw would bother me (for a while), but I don't go hunting for issues. I look closer than I used to just because I read this forum too much!

I think my SK-38 sounds great and is a nice lightweight build with lots of volume, but it does have the disadvantage of a narrower nut. The Martin has a wider nut and really wide string spacing that you don't find on many sopranos. If you're coming from a larger instrument, you'll really appreciate it, but if you're already playing narrow neck sopranos, maybe that's not a concern.

While Ohanas are usually decent quality, I don't think they even compare to the S1. The build quality and especially the quality of the wood used for the S1 is just on another level IMO. The only caveat I would have is that the S1 has a really jangly sound to it, even for a soprano. If you're ok with the sound then I would go for the S1 over an Ohana every single time.

This.

I own two all-solid Ohana sops. Love them both. But my Famous (built on Martin specs) has a much more comfortable neck. They all sound great, but the Famous is easiest to play. If budget isn’t a problem, I’d go with the Martin. Either way, Mim is a great source. She’s a registered dealer for both.

Most of the Ohanas you mention, except the SK-20 have solid sides and back too. I haven't noticed imperfections in any of my Ohanas, but then I don't look for perfection in my instrument either. An obvious flaw would bother me (for a while), but I don't go hunting for issues. I look closer than I used to just because I read this forum too much!

I think my SK-38 sounds great and is a nice lightweight build with lots of volume, but it does have the disadvantage of a narrower nut. The Martin has a wider nut and really wide string spacing that you don't find on many sopranos. If you're coming from a larger instrument, you'll really appreciate it, but if you're already playing narrow neck sopranos, maybe that's not a concern.

Don't forget the humble Martin S-0 too! They don't seem to be widely lauded, but I love mine! The good (from my perspective): a great feisty bark; seemingly "chunkier" frets than on the S-1; fingerboard doesn't extend so far down toward the soundhole as on the S-1 (and for me this is preferable). The maybe not-so-good: no internal lining to hold the top, sides, and back together, but so far the structural integrity seems absolutely fine.

Yes , the Martin SO , I like them so much , I have two . I prefer the SO to the S1 because I like the shorter fretboard.

For a style 0 or 1 type Martin, I prefer the shorter fretboard as well, but I think the S-0 is long discontinued. Shame really. What I've read of it, the S-0 didn't get a good reception at the time Martin introduced it, but everything I've heard of it since (reviews and videos) suggests that it's very close to the S1 in terms of quality. Weird that...

The 0X and the S0 are very different things though - the X series are not wood (HPL) very different ukes?

Are they even in the same price range? Both are common models so hopefully you can find a store like guitar center that is likely to carry both brands for direct comparison.

Do you mean the more recent modern S0, or a vintage Style 0?

That's right, I think the modern ones had more than 12 frets(?), so barely different from the current S1. I think they stopped production before I got into ukulele, so don't remember what the last ones looked like. I was thinking 12 fret like the old ones. The old finish is nice too.

The 0X and the S0 are very different things though - the X series are not wood (HPL) very different ukes?

True, I was a bit off topic. Others were mentioning the S0, so I was thinking Martin needs a new entry model. Just wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, there's a nice S-0 for sale on Reverb for $360 plus shipping, and it appears the seller will entertain offers...

Thanks all for your input. It looks like if I don't go for the Martin, I'll always be wondering what it was like.

Regards

Eugenio

Thanks all for your input. It looks like if I don't go for the Martin, I'll always be wondering what it was like.

Regards

Eugenio

Good choice. I think the Martin is easier to play and sounds better. Of course there's always the Kiwaya/Famous KTS-4. Also a good choice.

I asked a dealer the same question whom I will not name. They recommended ohana sk-38 for better value.

Top Bottom