Martin S1 vs Ohana soild mahoganies

I asked a dealer the same question whom I will not name. They recommended ohana sk-38 for better value.

I suppose it may be more bang for the buck. I would probably still spend a bit more and get the Martin. Either would be a pleasure to play.

My list of "dream" ukuleles continues to shrink. One of the ukuleles on the list was a Martin--I wanted "a" Martin. A used S1 popped up at a local second-hand music store, and was priced right...and I bought it. I did put Gotoh UPTs on it, and tried to get the black nut and saddle that were used on the centennial version with no luck (which reminds me that I need to contact someone about that again).

You can find used S1 models from time to time under $300. That's really the way to go about it.

That said, the CK-39 (concert) really appeals to me (concert is my preferred scale) but I have to put off some ukulele acquisitions for a while...our Highlander needs new tires ($700)...

My list of "dream" ukuleles continues to shrink. One of the ukuleles on the list was a Martin--I wanted "a" Martin. A used S1 popped up at a local second-hand music store, and was priced right...and I bought it. I did put Gotoh UPTs on it, and tried to get the black nut and saddle that were used on the centennial version with no luck (which reminds me that I need to contact someone about that again).

You can find used S1 models from time to time under $300. That's really the way to go about it.

That said, the CK-39 (concert) really appeals to me (concert is my preferred scale) but I have to put off some ukulele acquisitions for a while...our Highlander needs new tires ($700)...

I have a ck-39 to sell in the Marker Place. Just saying ;)

I purchased a Martin mahogany soprano S1 a couple of years ago. Tremendous ukulele! The mid-priced Mexican made Martin ukuleles are an excellent buy and definite keepers with every bit of the quality found in the Nazareth, Pennsylvania Martins. I have a number of high end ukuleles - Mya-Moe, Kamaka, Martin and Kala Elite. The S1 has the quality of sound and construction they have.

IMG_3449.jpg IMG_3455.jpg

"A used S1 popped up at a local second-hand music store, and was priced right...and I bought it. I did put Gotoh UPTs on it,"

Choirguy, I am in the process of buying a used S1. Not a big fan of friction tuners. How did the Gotoh UPT's work out? That was my thought when I bought the S1, change to the Gotoh's.

I have better ukes, but the S1 hangs in my LR and gets the most play. It's pretty good. A bargain!

-I wanted "a" Martin. A used S1 popped up at a local second-hand music store, and was priced right...and I bought it. I did put Gotoh UPTs on it,

Choirguy, how did the change to UPT's go on your Martin S1? I was thinking of doing the same thing and wanted t know if you liked the change.

Top Bottom