Season 415: Giving (via cell phone)

Another shorty from me although I've forgotten what its called ? ……….

I hadn't intended to do another one, Brian ... but it was wet this afternoon and I suddenly thought of this song; which I have always really liked. If this week has taught me one thing, it's that I need to find out how the phone camera works. I uploaded this via my editing site again because the initial result was so insipid ... the look I ended up with was a sort of sepia/partially disintegrated old tape from the 1960s, unearthed from someone's garage. The audio hasn't been touched. Played on my 8-string Kala baritone.

Last edited:
Ahoy
Here is yet another one for this week. Here is an Icelandic party favourite (though not the one guitarists hate to play)

Here's a song in Season 415 from Tracie Chapman "Give me a Reason". I am happy to return to the Seasons after having just completed my term on our HOA, which took up an enormous amount of my time and energy.

Any song option on phone.Sorry framing is a bit dodgy.Some nice Jimmy Webb chords.From Richard G's uke site if anyone wants chords.

reworked and rerecorded (in front of my old Mac straight into iMovie ) my paoriginal
it will be my first entry into FAWN (February Album Writing Month) which starts today - the aim is to write 14 songs in the month of Feb

Here's an instrumental version of a song with "give" in the title, recorded on an iPhone and unedited except to trim the beginning and end. Even managed analog title cards.
  • This is my first time uploading a single take. No multi-tracking. No camera tricks to hide the flubs. Super scary, but fun to concentrate on the music and not the technology. This is a good first step to my goal of getting up at an open mic. It still needs work, but I think I'm at a point where I can workshop it with the right folks.
  • This is also one of my first attempts at arranging my own chord melody outside of the Ukulele Way exercises - I got the basic notes from a piano & voice score, then rearranged to fit on the uke and some ornamentation. A good step towards that goal too.
  • I think this is the first time I didn't upload at the very last minute ;) It's still Friday in Hawaii!

One day I want to be in a band called "The Two-Bit Grifters." Who's with me?

An original, “Give us”, that I wrote the lyrics for Sunday morning after reading Pa’s theme. The melody and chords developed through the week. One take on the phone, no edits. Thanks for hosting!

Give us this day our daily bread
Save us from all our fears
Comfort us in our sad distress
And wipe away all our tears

Give us this day a thankful heart
Meekness and peace of soul
Finish the work that you began
To heal and then make us whole

You gave your Son to give us life
Bread that came from above
His blood the ransom for our sins
There has been no greater love.

Sorry, Brian, but I have an old crappy phone that I only use as a phone. I can't stand the quality of the photos it takes, let alone video.

Ugh, no editing! Such a great challenge for this season.
Here is my unedited phone recording of the Rick Astley hit, ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’.

BTW, did you know there is a ‘ Rick Astley Hotline’? You can give out this number to people (or companies) and when they call it, they get a recording of this song. Perfect to avoid creeps and telemarketers alike!

Hi Brian, sorry I couldn't do the cell phone thingy. I had enough problems recording this one this week.
Johnny Cash, "Give my Love to Rose."

One day I want to be in a band called "The Two-Bit Grifters." Who's with me?

Had to look up what grifter means, I am so with you on that band name! Though I am not crossing the pond anytime soon, so joining an actual band is probably not happening.
Apparently there was a band called the Grifters in the 90'es, but the two bit really adds to it.

Last edited:
Cheers to all! Have translated a song from 1984: Give my heart back to me (2nd title Airplanes In The Stomach).
Multi-talented Herbert Grönemeyer is known as actor from "The Boat" (1981), where he played the reporter on the submarine. His career was pushed by songs, representing the feelings in the coal pot of Germany.
Recorded with (awful) front cam of LG ThinQ G7 and uploaded directly. One take... (after some bloopers :rolleyes:):

Lyrics in description

SOTU 415: Giving - "So Hard To GIVE It All Up" (by Hoyt Axton)

Well, I had hoped to have a chance to give this one a second go, but a winter cold kept me from doing so. I recorded this last Sunday evening on our last night in Indiana following the Brown County Ukulele Festival in Nashville, Indiana before returning home to Roanoke. Excuse my feeble whistling on the breaks. I was hoping that Evelyn would be able to practice with this recording, and then we would do it together with her adding harmonica on the fills and breaks. That will have to be done some other time. . . :(

Hope you enjoy my quick take of Hoyt Axton's, "So Hard To 'Give' It All Up."

I know I am working on this last minute, but this new program for video editing is holding me back some. I know you said not to do it, but I have to fudge the rules a little unless you really want to see me perform upside down! :p

Worst experience ever trying to get the video correct and I failed in several attempts while barely making the deadline. I couldn't rotate the video with windows movie maker. I could rotate it with DaVinci Resolve but it wouldn't export. Resolve crashed several times. VLC Player wouldn't convert the video to audio like it used to. This video definitely isn't going to be public to say the least! I am never using a camera on a telephone ever again. If anyone has some ideas of how to work with these programs again, please DM me!

Remember to turn the volume back down after listening to my contribution for the week.

I am just relieved to finally get over my anxiety and get involved with the seasons again.

Top Bottom