Season 415: Giving (via cell phone)

Gylan and Jensen had a sleepover last night and we recorded this.
It was the first day of the Chinese New Year.
This was not rehearsed and we enjoyed it that way.
Gylan played an F Tuning alto kalimba and Jensen played a wooden frog percussion. I played a wide fret board ukulele that I painted.

Last edited:
Here is one of my favourite songs to play (and one of the few I know from memory). I have recorded it for an earlier season but here we go again. Jimmy Webb’s ‘Wichita Lineman. Recording straight to a phone - in my case an IPhone XS - is easy but for me the main issue is background noise which I usually can get rid of in Logic Pro X. Very quick and painfree upload to youtube as well.

Back when we did the Scandinavia season, I forgot that I had this compilation album called Scandinavian Gold. When I did a title search for "give," it turned up this song from that collection by El Perro del Mar.

thank you for this week Brian
this, an original song for the season

Ahoy
Since I always record with my cellphone then this was a simpler task then usually. I have been learning Mardy Bum by the Arctic Monkeys so here it is

Hello again, Brian ... another one from me. I hope that a song with "gifts" rather than "giving" in the title will qualify. I found the two last verses, which are later additions and certainly not always sung; I liked the sentiments, though .... especially those about friendship!

For Season 415 of the Ukulele, the theme is songs with derivatives of "give" in the title, and we're urged to use a mobile phone in our production. Here's "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprise" for concert ukulele with overdubs of vocals, Ubass, and iphone synthesizer.

As the vast majority of my videos are single takes on my phone anyway, I love this theme! Here I am playing whatever I want (in this case, a Judas Priest tune)!

Straight to phone, a little tribute to the genius that was Neil Innes, who we lost a few weeks ago. I have done some of his Rutles songs before now, but never this one from the Bonzos years, as it tends to be done by every uke group going. But what the heck, I can't resist a whistle.

Here's a White Stripes song I always have fun playing on guitar. So I tuned my Clearwater like the bottom four strings and let rip. Rough and ready, which I think is the point. Taken on a Samsung Galaxy in selfie mode, as are all my videos.

Thanks for hosting this week Brian! I invested as much time as my schedule/patience allowed trying to use my old beat up phone to record an acceptable video, but I'm a bit embarrassed to say I wasn't successful. I kept running out of memory. I constantly get messages that my memory is full and I need to upload some stuff to iCloud, but i don't use iCloud, nor do I intend to at this point. So, I went with the next closest option which was an ipad. I didn't edit it in any way except to turn up the volume. In fact I couldn't find any means of editing the video even if I wanted to. Besides being a bit slow, the uploading directly to youtube was pretty easy. I'm going to jam with some friends later this week, and if they are keen, i'll ask one of them to record something with their phone in order to meet the option 1 guidelines. Cheers ~

From a kitchen somewhere in the greater Hobart area came a Guy Clark tune with a couple averahe Jo's....

Top Bottom