Need new strings on my Collings Tenor.

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
I haven’t posted in a long time but here goes. I just got my Collings tenor back after it being in the shop for a long time and it needs new strings.
I tune low g and had been using Southcoast Light medium gauge linear set with wound bases and I think it really sounded great. I’ m not much of a strummer and mostly finger pick.

However, alas that chapter in our world of ukes changed.

I currently have Living Waters flouros with a D’Addario Pro Arth wound .030 as a 4th string. I’m not thrilled with how this sounds in this Ukulele. The wound low g thuds a bit and the Living Waters 1st string ( A) seems higher tension than it should and just doesn’t ring it seems well not muted but more stifled it that makes any sense.

I’ve been reading a little and think I’ll try Thomastik Infeld CF .027 and .030 flat wounds as my 3rd and 4th strings but would like some suggestions for something to pair with these. I’m trying to address that tension and lack of sustain on the 1st string on this Uke.

I haven’t experimented a lot with strings and would welcome some ideas please.

I know you all are likely quite sick of the what strings questions but I really could use a suggestion please. My 1st string has been an issue for me for some time now.

Which woods make up the body of your Collings Tenor?

My favorite strings are Living Waters with their unwound Low G. A new set of those might correct your 1st string issue, as well. I also like Worth Clears because they have an unwound Low G. After LWs, my 2nd favorite strings are Oasis Brights. I think they still come with a wound Low G, so I just swap it out for an unwound LW or Worth Low G.

BTW, Oasis and Worth strings are both double length, so you get two sets of strings in each package.

Your tonewoods will make a difference, and it depends on what type of sound you're looking for. That said, I'm a fan of the Worth Browns and Oasis Warms as matches for the TI flat wounds. The tensions seem to work well across all 4 strings, and there's a good match in tonality.

I happen to like a warmer sound, in case that wasn't obvious from my string choices.

I'm gonna try out the new Uke Logic strings by Joel at HMS/TUS next time I string something up as I've read some good reviews of them, as well.

My collings is a UT2 all mahogany. I did try a new set of Living Waters and I’m still having that 1st string issue ? Almost like it’s a higher tension than the others. Thanks very much for the suggestions. I like a warmer sound as well.

My collings is a UT2 all mahogany. I did try a new set of Living Waters and I’m still having that 1st string issue ? Almost like it’s a higher tension than the others. Thanks very much for the suggestions. I like a warmer sound as well.

To add to my previous post, I've tried Living Waters in the recent past and wasn't a fan. I know I'm in the minority there, but for some reason, they just didn't do it for me. Could've been the instrument, too. Some strings and ukes just aren't meant for each other.

I tend to agree with Steely, when it comes to solid mahogany.

If you want wound basses; Thomastik-Infeld CF30 and CF27 3&4 with w Savarez 541R and 542R. trebles. These are classical guitar strings for a longer scale so we use the lower string. The CF30 is for the G, CF27 C ,the 542R is used for the E string and 541R is used for the A string.

Or could do what Chuck Moore used at one time , CF30, 27 with Oasis trebles. I think it was Chuck using that combo.

What strings were on them from the factory? I assume that those would make it sound best. So I looked it up at the Collings website:

What strings do you recommend for concert and tenor ukuleles?
All of our ukulele models are strung at the factory with Savarez ukulele strings-

Concert ukuleles (.62mm, .74mm, .86mm, .62mm)
Tenor ukuleles (.57mm, .69mm, .81mm, .57mm)

Can I add a low "G" string to my ukulele?
Yes, using a wound bottom "G" string tuned an octave lower is a common alteration. As long as the string diameter remains below .70mm, this can be done without needing to adjust the nut slot.

Those diameters refer to their UKULÉLÉ TENOR 150R set. Thomastik Infeld, Fremont, or Kanilea low G may be some worthwhile options to consider in addition to that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom