Some of Us Can Relate to This

d8d8040ecb268f188cd37461007a144175d7bf85715dd263ec2d89d8b51f9263.jpg

......after about 3 years of trying, I can now just about read & play music from the page with my harmonicas.....

.......things do take time, but usually it is worth the effort. :)

"Try and try again. Then quit. No sense being a damn fool about it." I think this is attributed to WC Fields.

My group is made up of about 50 regulars that meets twice a week, Monday afternoon and Thursday morning. Some come one day only, some come both days, as I do. It's very obvious to me that most only play their uke when we meet, never at home. I try to make it easy for them by recording each song at rehearsal and providing a web page with all the audio tracks, about 200. But most don't bother. The excuse given is they don't have time (but 99% are retired). I tell them that they shouldn't wait for a moment, they have to schedule it.

A few weeks ago before class, I was noodling on my bass uke (which I started playing only a few years ago) and a regular member comments that I'm really getting good, how come? I replied that I practice with my recordings almost everyday. She bowed her head sheepishly, walked away saying, "I don't, I guess that's why I don't get better."

I always like to quote the joke about a tourist in New York looking for Carnegie Hall, asking a passerby, "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The reply is, "Practice, practice, practice."

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Top Bottom