Campanella - Strategies For Learning Standard Notation of G and A Strings

Edspyhill05

Reaction score
This isn't a general sight reading question. My classical guitar sight reading skills are a little rusty but are coming back.

I'm just starting to learn campanella style. Anyone come up with a strategy to practice sight reading to memorize the standard notation of the G and A strings.

I'm thinking about mental memory, muscle memory, the ability to choose which note/fret/string on the fly.

I'm at the very beginning of coming up with strategies for self designed practice.

BTW, I find that Ondrej Sarek's "Campanella Style Songbook For Beginner, C Tuning Ukulele" turned out to be a great starting point.

Thanks Penny!

Hi.

At one point in time I thought of Campanella as a style, like finger style, or clawhammer, or something along those lines. A more experienced player told me my thinking was wrong and that Campanella isn't a style. You don't do it on the fly. It is a non-intuitive arrangement of a piece that you employ after composition has taken place. By all means learn how to play Campanella and enjoy those overtones, but realize that you aren't going to be able to sight read a passage and immediately Campanella-ize it. Or, rather, you can get to that level because, as Sophokles once said, Man is awesome. Anything can be accomplished. But the question arises: will it be worth it? My answer is no. It is worthwhile to play Campanella pieces; they are beautiful...but to think in Campanella would take too much effort--effort which could get applied to a goal yielding better dividends for the investment of time.

I was stuck in the delayed airline bubble.

I set up a practice to memorize the relationship of the notes on the G and A strings. I sometimes think of the ukulele tuning as a three string instrument, the C & E strings combined with the A or High G string.

Evaluating the task of learning to play Campanella I see the first step has to be learning all the aspects of fingerstyle playing.

Thank you to all who responded. I appreciate all the advice.

Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom