I wish this resulted in electrocution

Twiggy

Reaction score
I often say something along the lines of "as a species, we are still pretty stupid" when talking about false beliefs, misconceptions, bad ideas, etc.

This article is just more proof

It's another one of those viral challenges, where kids (usually teens and tweens) are challenged to do certain things, some being very dumb such as the tide pod challenge, and a recent dipping your testicles in soy sauce (yes you read that right) challenge.

This challenge is pretty new, and just as stupid as the tide pod challenge. It is to stick a phone charger part way into an electrical outlet, and then slide a coin through the middle. Obviously this results in both the positive and negatives coming into contact with each other which usually caused a "boom" and smoke, ban can of course present potential other, even lethal danger.

In some sick way, I kind of hope some of the people doing this dumb stuff do get fatally electrocuted, it would remove them from the gene pool. :cool: I mean, they're literally playing with mains voltage level electricity, so play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Oh brother...

Yes, and it would make them eligible for a Darwin Award

https://darwinawards.com

I understand that teenagers seem to feel invincible and certainly think that they are FAR smarter than everyone else, but sometimes I am amazed at the stupidity.

I still wouldn't wish electrocution on them, even if they are doing something stupid. I just wonder how kids come up with stuff like this.

People don't need to be told this sort of thing. They know it's dangerous.

John Colter

A modern example of Natural Selection ?

When I was somewhere around 8 years old, I somehow managed to drop a paperclip on the prongs of a nightlight that wasn't completely plugged in. I can't tell you why, or how it happened.

I do remember the sparks, the melted paperclip, the blown circuit breaker, and my mother's comment that I was as white as a sheet, cold, and clammy. In my later years, as a firefighter/paramedic, I would have recognized this as being in shock. Back then, all I knew was that somehow, I had done something really stupid, and lived to tell about it.

I was lucky. A paperclip will melt. A penny won't.

And if the breaker doesn't kick, there will be a fire

I often say something along the lines of "as a species, we are still pretty stupid" when talking about false beliefs, misconceptions, bad ideas, etc.

This article is just more proof

It's another one of those viral challenges, where kids (usually teens and tweens) are challenged to do certain things, some being very dumb such as the tide pod challenge, and a recent dipping your testicles in soy sauce (yes you read that right) challenge.

This challenge is pretty new, and just as stupid as the tide pod challenge. It is to stick a phone charger part way into an electrical outlet, and then slide a coin through the middle. Obviously this results in both the positive and negatives coming into contact with each other which usually caused a "boom" and smoke, ban can of course present potential other, even lethal danger.

In some sick way, I kind of hope some of the people doing this dumb stuff do get fatally electrocuted, it would remove them from the gene pool. :cool: I mean, they're literally playing with mains voltage level electricity, so play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Oh brother...

Some people as easily led and others have their weaknesses too so one shouldn’t be surprised by what children and young adults do, indeed some people who are more than old enough to know better do some incredibly daft things. In this case I’m a firm believer that the people responsible for the app should be found and prosecuted for incitement.

Mains voltage is circa 120 volts in North America and a belt off of that is a serious hazard. Here in the U.K. it’s 240 volts so somewhat more of an issue. Of course our plugs and safety standards make the particular ‘trick’ harder to play but finding an inventive way to do so (or similar) is not beyond what the intelligent but lacking in common sense can achieve.

Last edited:
Top Bottom