Dog paw side port:

JJFN

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a Cocobolo Concert Ukulele. One of the options is a dog paw side port. Any difference in sound between the dog paw and the normal side port? Is the dog paw just a different design? Thanx in advance for your input.

I've heard both. The only difference is looks.

I will say though, I don't wish for another ukulele with a side port. But you probably don't get migraines....

My understanding is that most of them are being made now with a normal side port on the upper left bout and the dog paw option is done on the upper right bout. So if you're a right handed player, it is pretty much decorative.

My understanding is that most of them are being made now with a normal side port on the upper left bout and the dog paw option is done on the upper right bout. So if you're a right handed player, it is pretty much decorative.

It directs some of the sound downwards towards the dog(s). ;)

I have the dog paws on several Cocobolos, only because I have dogs. You're not going to hear any difference in sound, but it's certainly a conversation starter. Lots of ukes have that top soundport, but you're not going to see many dog paws. Go for it!

Thank You everyone for your input. And no Nickie I don't suffer from migraines nor do I want to start suffering from them. I'll probably pop for the Cocobolo without the dog paws. If I don't like the side port, there will be a Cocobolo Concert on the market.

Thank You everyone for your input. And no Nickie I don't suffer from migraines nor do I want to start suffering from them. I'll probably pop for the Cocobolo without the dog paws. If I don't like the side port, there will be a Cocobolo Concert on the market.

I'm glad you don't get migraines. I'm trying one med after another....

I have a feeling that you won't want to sell the cocobolo ukulele once you start playing it.
They have absolutely uniquely gorgeous tones, and as they age, they get better.

Nickie, you are probably right about the Cocobolo, I am sure I will enjoy playing this instrument. The radiused fretboard closed the deal. I wish you well with your migraines. Some friends of mine have them and they can be absolutely crippling.

Top Bottom