Thumb Plectrum Recommendations?

Harmony Smurf

Reaction score
Hello and thanks in advance for any insights you all can give.

I have soft nails and can't grow them out on my strumming hand. Even on my thumb. My fingerstyle picking isn't with the PIMA fingers but just with my thumb. I have been doing it this way for about 3 years now and don't want to change. I tried to learn PIMA style arpeggios multiple times but I still failed. That is why I am looking at getting a good thumb plectrum. I only play in my music studio so I am not worried about losing it so I was thinking of getting a premium one. I am also hoping for a more consistent higher volume when plucking in a way that would work for me.

This is the one I am thinking of after a couple days of looking around:
http://shop.bluechippick.net/bct-jdl/
I am thinking this might be the one for me as the pick length is short. I hypothesize that a shorter pick would be easier to transition to than a long one.

Anyone try this one out or have a different one to recommend?

I'm mainly a thumb picker, I tried quite a few thumb picks, but could never get one to shape up right, I need it at the top left edge of my thumb nail, & none of them covered that area, even tried reshaping the angles of them, with no joy.

So what I learned to do was to semi lift the string as I puck it, by putting my thumb slightly under the string. I also use this method when I arpeggiate chords with my finger tips.

The leader of our jam modifies a thumb pick by cutting down the point and filling in with paper and duct tape. He gets the flexibility of felt in a pick that’ll stay in place. It’s weird, but it works for him.

BlueChip picks and thumb picks are very nice. I have used them for years with guitar and none of them show any signs of wear. The metal part of the thumb pick can be bent a bit larger or smaller to create a perfect fit. The inside of the pick is textured slightly to enable it to really grip your thumb. The pick material is great for guitar playing because it cuts down on string noise - although that will not be an issue on a uke. Best of luck in your search.

I mostly flat pick on all my instruments but have started to experiment with a thumbpick and am learning to get used to it. I use a large triangle bluechip for mandolin and really like it but feel that it's probably an unnecessarily expensive thumbpick for nylon strings. I have been using a golden gate thumbpick and its quite comfortable and I'm satisfied with the tone and have adjusted the shape to my liking. Tommy Emmanuel uses a Dunlop.
When I first started with it, I liked it sanded fairly short for better control. Now I'm leaning toward a little longer, giving me a little more room to support the underside of the pick with my index finger if I want to strum a bit (especially on the upstrum, to prevent movement). I'd get a few different ones and see what you like as far as length and shape before you spring for a bc (if you decide to try them). You want them pretty snug and I like them to come just past the cuticle.
I originally had my nail lengthened with gel but I like the angle of attack much better with a thumbpick than a long thumbnail. It's more perpendicular and better for me ergonomically.

3 lesser-known recommendations from me:
Sharktooth & Kodiak Crossover Picks - most comfortable thumb picks I've yet used (the pick is held in place by a soft strap)
Cool Beta Carb Thumb Pick - love the tone on these
Butterfly Finger Picks thumb pick - a small loop of wire that hooks around the thumb. very similar to playing fingerstyle

A thumb pick might indeed be a good alternative when with weak nails like mine and wanting a somewhat stronger sound than just with the flesh. I myself strum mostly with index or sometimes all 4, trying to keep nails on these fingers, except thumb. It is only the bother to develop a style needing that pick and then be in need of it all the time.

Myself I have a black nylon Dunlop thumb pick and it works really fine strumming down or playing melodies, all down picked. I have no idea if it is possible get this one anymore as it is decades old. It does not have any normal plectrum shape, so it certainly will not work for upstrums. I might look if these style of thumb picks are still available and then make the change to my playing style.

I’m a big fan of the Fred Kelly Bumblebee pick. It’s a combination flat pick and thumb pick, and although it’s a bit pricier ($3-4) than a normal guitar pick, I like it because it’s fully adjustable. The flat pick itself slides in and out (in order to make the pick shorter or longer, depending on your preference), and the pick rotates, allowing you to position the strike part of the pick exactly where you want it. I generally pick with my thumb; the Bumblebee pick is the closest thing I’ve found to emulate the position of my natural thumb. It’s made of delrin material and provides a soft, natural sound on the strings, and comes in two different shapes, Jazz and Teardrop.

I have used the Golden Gate plastic thumb pick for decades. I buy them by the dozen and have them everywhere including my purse in case I get an opportunity to pick. The trick is to find a size that doesn’t turn when you pick but isn’t too tight either. They have them on Amazon in beige plastic (my fav) but also colored marble. They are nice quality but low cost.

Top Bottom