new flight Long Neck Soprano Tavel Uke TUSL

uketanzon

Reaction score
new flight Long Neck Soprano Travel Uke TUSL

I have been a fan of the flight TUS 35/50 travel ukes, with the wood tops and poly carbonate bodies. So, much we bought a bunch of them for our
Ukulele children’s group. Their intonation is spot on, low action no buzz,
zero fret, great playability and sound. We found them better than the kala, lanakai, and other wood entry level ukes which needed action jobs, nut/saddle filing......to make them playable. These Flights are playable right out of the box and all for a cheap entry fee. Its a winner as Barry Maz would agree.

They recently came out with a concert neck on soprano version. Got it today, and I love it. Same good quality, More room for fretting, slighly more mellow sound, ( which I personally like) and way cool graphiics.

If I am being honest, I like this Uke better than the Fluke or Fleas I have had in the past.
Its just as cool and different looking and I think it plays even better better for 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a fluke or flea.

Good job FLIGHT!!!

However, wait till they hit US distributors...Flight said elderly will be getting them and others....

Bought mine at Music room and had to get FLIGHT involved to get my uke finally shipped from Music Room.

Attachments

• 6020C64B-D2CF-47F9-867E-4DFB7881076F.jpg
    6020C64B-D2CF-47F9-867E-4DFB7881076F.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Nice, I bought the TUS-35 previously, which was great. I'll eventually try one of these longnecks for sure, when they are more available here in the US. I hope they eventually offer a tenor too! I looked on that UK musicroom site, and they have both blue and black ones available now, as well as the Surf design, and walnut: https://www.musicroom.com/search.aspx?q=tusl
Hey, wouldn't a flamed koa graphic be cool? :D I'm sure it could easily be done, make the top look this this one on Baz' site, that would be a hoot.

Elita 3Koa.JPG

I like the all black model.

TUSL-35 black.JPG

Last edited:
yes that koa idea would be cool....
The black is the Johnny Cash model, ha
I Live by the ocean surf in florida so I had to get the surf one...

Going to change out strings, The aguila nylagut are not bad, but I am liking PHD nylons these days...I like the sound and playability....they have a robust feel, more than the thinner flurocarbons which I use to swear by.

Last edited:
I've liked the Flight TUS since Baz reviewed it and I've got a soft spot for long neck sopranos so this TUSL is hard to resist. Plus, they don't have the rosette (except the walnut).

I said no new ukes for 2020 and it's not even February. It's going to be a long year ... :rolleyes:

Going to change out strings, The aguila nylagut are not bad, but I am liking PHD nylons these days...I like the sound and playability....they have a robust feel, more than the thinner flurocarbons which I use to swear by.

I put PHD strings on my Flight TUS-35 and I’m very pleased with them. They sound great, and I find them more comfortable to play than the original Nylguts.

They are total 'no-brainer' ukuleles when you consider the ticket price.

They are total 'no-brainer' ukuleles when you consider the ticket price.

The playability vs cost ratio is amazing. One would think that an instrument at that price would be poor quality, but that is far from the truth. They are a pleasure to play.

I wonder about the feasibility of installing a set of Graphtech tuners on one of these?

Difficult I suspect as the headstock is not solid. The back is kind of a plastic dish and the top face is a wooden piece dropped in. Not saying it can't work, and of course the existing tuners they come with are screwed into the plastic... but I'd be wary of screwing more into the plastic in case you weaken it.

I wonder about the feasibility of installing a set of Graphtech tuners on one of these?

In my experience (on a wood uke) the Graphtech Ratio screw spacing was slightly different than the usual Grover geared knockoff (there's probably many different knockoffs out there). If you try to use one of the existing holes, the other one might be slightly off. You may be able to use it, but one of the screws might be angled a a bit, which is not good, or you'd need to fill and drill a new hole very close to the old one. Even then, if the post is not centered exactly in the hole and bushing, you may get some grinding, again not good. But if the existing holes line up well with the Ratios, it may be ok. Probably much easier to fit on a wood uke, since you know it's solid underneath, where fill & drill is not so much of an issue. I must say, the black mounting screws that come with the Ratios kinda suck, so tiny and easy to strip the head slots. Maybe they're plastic too?

I went down the internet ukulele rabbit hole and discovered these on Choirguys website. More surfing lead me to a Canadian internet seller.......so for $69.00 + $10.00 shipping CDN it was a no brainer as Baz puts it. I will give my thoughts on this, primarily against my Enya Nova once this arrives. I will be using either one for bicycle touring.

As a side note everyone, including three Outdoor Uke owners, have been extremely impressed with my Enya Nova. Those three are band members and are much more accomplished players then me.

Glad I found this positive review AFTER I purchased it :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:
I went done the internet ukulele rabbit hole and discovered these on Choirguys website. More surfing lead me to a Canadian internet seller.......so for $69.00 + $10.00 shipping CDN it was a no brainer as Baz puts it. I will give my thoughts on this, primarily against my Enya Nova once this arrives. I will be using either one for bicycle touring.

As a side note everyone, including three Outdoor Uke owners, have been extremely impressed with my Enya Nova. Those three are band members and are much more accomplished players then me.

Glad I found this positive review AFTER I purchased it :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's probably better I don't know, but I'm going to ask: Who is the Canadian internet seller?

Okay, I'm preparing myself for the feats of mental strength required to not buy one. :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago I was looking for a long neck soprano in the budget range with the hope it might help with the hand mobility problems that seem to have developed recently. I gave the Flight serious consideration but in the end I fell for the looks of the Baton Rouge long neck soprano andI'm really happy with it. It plays and to my ears sounds pretty good. It also seems to suit my limited hands at the moment si cigars all round from me.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a long neck soprano in the budget range with the hope it might help with the hand mobility problems that seem to have developed recently. I gave the Flight serious consideration but in the end I fell for the looks of the Baton Rouge long neck soprano andI'm really happy with it. It plays and to my ears sounds pretty good. It also seems to suit my limited hands at the moment si cigars all round from me.

Yeah - both the BR and Flight long necks are great choices for the money. I guess the Flight suits the tougher conditions uke people (most of it is plastic). I really like both brands!

Yeah, I ended up buying two, they're so cheap. Very good build quality. I'm going to leave the walnut one stock, with the factory high action for fingerpicking, whilst the black one will be lowered, and strung with a low G.

Top Bottom