Concert Flea top, slightly dished...

One Man And His Uke

Reaction score
Any other Flea owners ever come across this. Had my Flea for about 5 years now. Over time the top has developed a slight concave-iness. Last year it spent several months in the tropics of Central America ( not with me, I lent it to my son as a robust travel uke), and the inward curve of the top is definitely more noticeable since then. It still plays fine, the bridge is still fully attached to the top, so it doesn’t seem to have adversely affected it’s playability one iota. I’m just curious really and wondered if other Flea players has seen this, maybe Fluke players as well. Hmmmm.....:confused:

Ps, I’ve tried taking a picture but it’s just not showing the concave top really. You’ll all just have to take my word for it :)

I'm not 100% on what you're describing. If the dip is in front of the bridge and the bridge is leaning forward that's pretty common for stringed instruments, especially over time. It can become a problem, but not always. With some of them it's like that from the factory, if it's a light build...and it can give you more volume. I've seen Martin OXK and OX bamboo sopranos made from HPL that look like they're ready to sling their bridge off straight from the factory but I've never heard of it happening. Instead you just get the more volume of that build.

There could be some warping caused by climate issues but if the bridge is attached well still, as you say, and the playability is also fine I don't think I'd worry over it right now. I would assume it's out of warranty by now anyways, so just play it and enjoy it.

I've never seen that on a Flea or a Fluke, but they could replace the top for you. If it has a special design, that could complicate things.
Just a standard single colour top. Sending it to US for replacement top is probably not needed as, like I say, it doesn’t seem to affect the playability at all.

I'm not 100% on what you're describing. If the dip is in front of the bridge and the bridge is leaning forward that's pretty common for stringed instruments, especially over time. It can become a problem, but not always. With some of them it's like that from the factory, if it's a light build...and it can give you more volume. I've seen Martin OXK and OX bamboo sopranos made from HPL that look like they're ready to sling their bridge off straight from the factory but I've never heard of it happening. Instead you just get the more volume of that build.

There could be some warping caused by climate issues but if the bridge is attached well still, as you say, and the playability is also fine I don't think I'd worry over it right now. I would assume it's out of warranty by now anyways, so just play it and enjoy it.
Yep, the “dip” is to the front of the bridge, and the bridge does indeed lean forward. Also, yes, way out of warranty :D. Didn’t want to even describe it as a “problem” or “issue” in the title of the thread, because, well for the time being anyway, it doesn’t affect it. It’s a great uke, although I have to admit it’s been usurped by my Klos as my goto. I’d still like to get a tenor Fluke some day.....

I have a concert Flea that developed a dip like that a year or so after I bought it. I sent it back to Magic Fluke and they added a brace that straightened the top.

You will need to quantify the amount of dish... 1mm, 2mm, etc. A little is not bad. An important aspect of this is that the bridge is still straight. In my opinion if the action has not gotten higher, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you really want to straighten it out any quality luthier can add a brace; you dan’t have to send it back to the mfg. But be aware that you might like the looks of flat top more than how it sounds with the added brace.

Here is some info from a few people I would trust...

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110452-Best-course-of-action-for-a-bulge-sink-top

John

You will need to quantify the amount of dish... 1mm, 2mm, etc. A little is not bad. An important aspect of this is that the bridge is still straight. In my opinion if the action has not gotten higher, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you really want to straighten it out any quality luthier can add a brace; you dan’t have to send it back to the mfg. But be aware that you might like the looks of flat top more than how it sounds with the added brace.

Here is some info from a few people I would trust...

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110452-Best-course-of-action-for-a-bulge-sink-top

John
Not sure of the exact measurement. Good point about adding extra bracing though. I will leave as is for the time being. Like I say, I was mostly interested to see if other Flea owners had ever had this happen to their uke. Mine plays fine still, but thanks for your interesting replies folks.

With high tension strings my Fluke dishes a bit. Not a lot but visibly. Doesn't fuss me, still sounds and plays great. It's the sign of a light build, which is probably one of the reasons it sounds great!

Top Bottom