WTB- inexpensive pocket uke/sopranissimo/sopranino

I have the Ohana sopranino. I was thinking of letting it go. PM me if interested. Bought it here about a year ago. I don't really play it that much.

Yes, aside from Ohana, many that were once out there no longer seem to be made. Amahi has a new one this year in a variety of colors, but in every one that I've seen in pics (from backside of headstock) the tuner installation looks wonky.

BTW, still looking. I have a concert Waterman that can be traded in case anyone might be interested in one of those. Thanks.

Whoops! I thought that you liked it! My mistake, sorry.

They made that usual mistake with sopraninos of making everything smaller - including the nut width. Ultra uncomfortable. There ARE however good sopraninos out there with reasonable widths, but they cost more. I would recommend looking and models from DJ Morgan and Andy Miles. I'd avoid the usual brand names.

Sadly, both of those seem to be too exclusive (limited #s and auction only or UK-only shipping), and pricey. Seems like only One usual name still makes those midget ukes. As for the Enya, there is one bad review that I saw. Also not really too interested in animal (I hate squirrels!), heart, coffee cup, etc. sound holes. Sigh, the search continues...

Sopranino

I’m thinking about getting one of these. “ YOLOPLUS+ 17 Inch Kids Ukulele”. 21 bucks

Sadly, both of those seem to be too exclusive (limited #s and auction only or UK-only shipping), and pricey. Seems like only One usual name still makes those midget ukes. As for the Enya, there is one bad review that I saw. Also not really too interested in animal (I hate squirrels!), heart, coffee cup, etc. sound holes. Sigh, the search continues...

There's a reason for that though- they are actually much harder to get right than bigger scales. It's why I don't recommend the main brand names if you want to go tiny. Trust me. It's not 'exclusivity' - it reflects the time needed to get the accuracy on par. Anyone can shrink a uke. Shrinking a uke and making it play more than reasonably well is another matter.

There's a reason for that though- they are actually much harder to get right than bigger scales. It's why I don't recommend the main brand names if you want to go tiny. Trust me. It's not 'exclusivity' - it reflects the time needed to get the accuracy on par. Anyone can shrink a uke. Shrinking a uke and making it play more than reasonably well is another matter.

I took "exclusivity" to mean difficult to purchase, at least in the States. DJ Morgan recently released a batch that was UK shipping only. They sold out quickly, but I would've been able to snap one up if they were shipping to the US. I believe Andy Miles only sells them in auctions and has only been doing his Nanos for a while, making his Piccolo that much more difficult to acquire. I'd like a mini pineapple or piccolo, but they're not readily available. I've not heard of US counterparts to Morgan or Miles, which surprises me, but maybe we just need a US counterpart to Bazmaz to find and review them.

I’m thinking about getting one of these. “ YOLOPLUS+ 17 Inch Kids Ukulele”. 21 bucks

By all means, I'd like to hear all about it, and the same goes for the Enya animal themed one as well. Silk purse from a sow's ear! Sorry Barry, some of us aren't as discerning as we could be. ;)

OK, call me crazy, just paid $18 on Amazon for the squirrel ukulele. Spruce top and "carbon fibre" back and sides. I'm excited.

OK, call me crazy, just paid $18 on Amazon for the squirrel ukulele. Spruce top and "carbon fibre" back and sides. I'm excited.

I will be interested to know what you think. I didn't have any luck with mine. Tried to set it up myself. :(

Looks like it might have to be one of these.... anyone have any info?

A quick look on ebay, they have some other 17" ukes, one by Enya that might be interesting, if you like animal based sound holes. It does seem to have a few issues, but, for $32 what can you expect?!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Enya-Mini-...468816&hash=item1cd4797bf2:g:XKwAAOSwJMBdHYTB

Mine, a coffee-themed soundhole, was worth what I paid for it: [Price Corrected Below] It sorta tuned correctly and you could make some chords that sounded close. Up the neck was a different matter. Intonation was not good.

I was wrong, in looking at my past purchases, it was only $18 on Amazon! Worth it? Maybe. Good for a laugh during an open mike and never played it again.

Last edited:
Mine, a coffee-themed soundhole, was worth what I paid for it: $36 from Amazon. It sorta tuned correctly and you could make some chords that sounded close. Up the neck was a different matter. Intonation was not good.

I just got mine today. Same situation, tuned up fine then intonation was no good. The nut slots are too high for one thing. The nut to 1st fret is measured at 17.9mm, way off of the expected 16mm. Looks like the fretboard is about 1.9mm too long. This could be why y'all are having set-up issues. Other than those things, it looks pretty good. The Squirrel version is now $42, was $16 a couple of days ago. How's that for whip-saw free market pricing?

I'll either update or start a new thread.

Top Bottom