Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: WTB- inexpensive pocket uke/sopranissimo/sopranino

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    540

    Default

    My Uke Collection
    1920s Martin O

    Kamaka HF-2 Concert

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eculuke View Post
    Wow some of the tiwi ukes are itsy bitsy teeny weeny. :-)
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pacific Inland Empire
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    I just got mine today. Same situation, tuned up fine then intonation was no good. The nut slots are too high for one thing. The nut to 1st fret is measured at 17.9mm, way off of the expected 16mm. Looks like the fretboard is about 1.9mm too long. This could be why y'all are having set-up issues. Other than those things, it looks pretty good. The Squirrel version is now $42, was $16 a couple of days ago. How's that for whip-saw free market pricing?

    I'll either update or start a new thread.
    I've taken the 1.9mm off the fret board on the Enya Squirrel, not pretty:

    enya uke neck detail.jpg

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    I've taken the 1.9mm off the fret board on the Enya Squirrel, not pretty:

    enya uke neck detail.jpg
    Oh my, looks like a bit of a challenge.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pacific Inland Empire
    Posts
    219

    Default

    It sure was!
    Here's the final results:

    2020-02-06 14.54.32.jpg

    Forum SW flipped the photo, sorry...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pacific Inland Empire
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Forgot to mention: after all that it still can't be tuned well, the notes go sharp for some reason, plus intonation up the fret board still is lousy (sharp) above the 6th fret or so
    I believe that the tuners are at fault for the tuning problems. Fret placement errors might account for the intonation issues.

    Conclusion: worth about $18 at the most, it's pretty much a toy not a proper sopranino
    Not recommended!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Doggone it, that's a bummer! I wonder if the bridge was mounted inaccurately? Well, in any event, the work you did looks really nice!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pacific Inland Empire
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sheehan View Post
    Doggone it, that's a bummer! I wonder if the bridge was mounted inaccurately? Well, in any event, the work you did looks really nice!
    The bridge placement is right on, not crooked or in the wrong place for a 283mm scale uke. The 12th fret is smack dab in the middle. The 6th fret is within .02mm. I just think it's a bit of an, as you said, bummer.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukeanixi View Post
    I've taken the 1.9mm off the fret board on the Enya Squirrel, not pretty:

    enya uke neck detail.jpg
    I'm wondering how you got the nut off? I wanted to do that with my E. Squirrel, but failed. Tried to file the nut slots. What a disaster! (I am a hack and should not have attempted such a thing, but it was a cheap enough "instrument" that I felt I could experiment.)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Pacific Inland Empire
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Junie Moon View Post
    I'm wondering how you got the nut off? I wanted to do that with my E. Squirrel, but failed. Tried to file the nut slots. What a disaster! (I am a hack and should not have attempted such a thing, but it was a cheap enough "instrument" that I felt I could experiment.)
    I used a hair dryer, high heat and low air speed (hotter air btw). Dryer in one hand, chisel pushing between the fret board and nut. Keep at it until the glue softens. It'll let go suddenly, so watch out!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •