What to do....

Nickie

Reaction score
I recently saw a suggestion for this that looks like a really good one to me:
https://www.stringsforhope.com/
I know they take metal strings, but I'm not sure about nylon, fluoro, etc. I haven't looked deeply into the site, so it might be on there.

with old uke, guitar, etc, strings?
Some of us in TBUS are considering this recycling program being done by D'addario strings. We have a collection started.
You can read about it here:
https://www.daddario.com/playback/recycle/#@40.77027075200147:-95.93705549677736zoom:4
1.5 million pounds of strings land in our landfills in the US every year!

Two pounds to ship is a lot... too much for an individual. I noticed that toward the bottom of the page, they note that you can turn it into your local Guitar Center.

Some of us in TBUS are considering this recycling program being done by D'addario strings. We have a collection started.
https://www.daddario.com/playback/recycle/#@40.77027075200147:-95.93705549677736zoom:4

Well, metal guitar strings are heavy compared with our uke strings. Has anyone tried to weight a set of nylon soprano strings? I've been playing for five years, and I'm sure I wouldn't have accumulated 2 lb of strings. I can see this working with an orchestra, but not with Larry and Louise play ukes at home. I wonder what D'addario does with all that string that they receive.

Last edited:
I had never been able to tell if they actually took non-metal strings in their recycling program, so this post inspired me to finally try to find out.

I emailed D'addario to ask, "Do you accept and recycle non-metal strings, such as nylon and fluorocarbon?" and this was the response, directly from a representative at the company:

"Yes, we take all types of strings in our recycling program—from nylon to nickel."

I simply do not believe that there are 1.5 million pounds of musical instrument strings discarded each year. It just isn't happening.

I simply do not believe that there are 1.5 million pounds of musical instrument strings discarded each year. It just isn't happening.

I wondered about that, too. I think D'Addario says, "...could be 1.5 million..."

When you figure all the orchestras in the world and those long strings on basses, cellos, and guitars, it adds up.

If any of you live near fishing tackle stores, most that I have seen have recycling bins for old fishing line. I'm sure they will take our old ukulele strings.

Strings are pretty much plastic. Couldn't you just put them in with the home recycling?

Strings are pretty much plastic. Couldn't you just put them in with the home recycling?

Extremely unlikely. Most local recyclers only take very specific types of plastics and if the wrong kind of plastic ends up mixed in, it can ruin an entire batch. Here is a great video discussing the issues with this sort of thing: Recycling is Broken (from It's Ok to be Smart.)

I wonder how they determine that number? But you know, if it makes you feel like you are doing something to save the planet, do it. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything.

I weighed twenty-five sets of ukulele strings. They came in at 11.4 ounces, and that includes the packaging. One bare set didn't register on my digital scale.

If you like the idea, take a bag along to the uke group and collect everyone's strings.

If you have a regular public playing event, advertise that you collect strings to re-cycle, and that even guitar and trumpet players can bring along their old strings to be re-cycled.

Ah, trumpet strings. That's where the missing million pounds is. Those things are heavy! :p

Imagine the expense and pollution caused by sending 1.5 million pounds of strings for recycling. The packaging along would far exceed the volume of the strings. Then figure in the fuel needed to move that much material. Sure, the recycling would be taking place all around the globe, but like the strings, it all adds up.

Rather than sending them in the mail, let’s recycle them at home. Some uses are below.

Dental floss for zoo animals or even for people
Garrotes for assassins
Fishing line
Tripping burglars
Leash for pet mice and hamsters
Emergency shoe laces
Material for birds to build nests
Craft materials for little kids
Hangers for wind chimes
Toys for cats

Imagine the expense and pollution caused by sending 1.5 million pounds of strings for recycling. The packaging along would far exceed the volume of the strings. Then figure in the fuel needed to move that much material. Sure, the recycling would be taking place all around the globe, but like the strings, it all adds up.

Rather than sending them in the mail, let’s recycle them at home. Some uses are below.

Dental floss for zoo animals or even for people
Garrotes for assassins
Fishing line
Tripping burglars
Leash for pet mice and hamsters
Emergency shoe laces
Material for birds to build nests
Craft materials for little kids
Hangers for wind chimes
Toys for cats

Actually my wife got some art for christmas . She had it mounted in a deep frame over glass, so that it appears to float. She wanted me to hang it. I found that an old A string that I fished out of my garbage can in the basement that blended into the wall and was almost invisible. So there you go, hang a picture with it, and one less string going into the land fill.

I can believe it of fishing line. I think my ukulele string changes will never match my partner's rod/reel line changes.

In the winter I throw my fishing line and often times my uke strings in my wood stove. Is that a bad thing? I don't know, I haven't given it much thought. They disappear fast if you toss them in a hot stove. Fun to watch them curl up and burn too.

Top Bottom