Looking for a New Concert in $500-ish Range

juliaann

Reaction score
Hi y'all. I'm looking to replace my Luna High-Tide Concert Electric Acoustic with another Concert-not electric at all. I'm looking for suggestions. I will be shopping online as the local selection isn't awesome. The budget is $500-ish. I may be able to finagle a bit more if I need to, and could possibly sell the Luna but memories and all that. . .

I like warmer tones in general and I like pretty things. (How I was talked into the Luna) I can compromise on the looks for sure.

Opinions on the KoAloha Opios? Or the ones made in both factories? And for good measure just the KoAlohas in general.

The looks of the Ohanas are inticing. I also have a lower end Kala I am not in love with. (also have and Outdoor Uke and the kiddos have a Makala shark.)

Thank you!

Don't forget Martin. They have a nice solid koa concert ukulele for around $500. If you want a more exotic look, Rebel has some interesting ukuleles in that price range. Pono is another popular choice in this price range.

Well you already mentioned the KoAloha Opio range. :D I massively endorse KoAloha. Their Opio range is supposedly very close to their proper Koa models in terms of sound and build quality. Personally, I adore the quirky looks as well. Another excellent brand at that price range is Pono. I have their deluxe baritone made out of Acacia and it is just superb. I would go for their deluxe range as their gloss finish is excellent imo. If you have around $500 to spare I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a better quality uke at that price point.

The Martin C1K that was mentioned above is also a really nice uke around that price, especially if you want something a bit more traditional.

I'll definitely check out the suggestions!

And I'm glad that people are liking the KoAloha Opios. (Although, this is a gift to cover all holidays for the past 3+ years, soooo. . .)

Keep in mind too that you don't have to spend $500 to get a nice uke. If you're not happy with the looks of a uke you think you might want don't settle. That feeling will probably hang with you.

Fair and I definitely have a few in the 2-300 range on my radar. $500 was our agreed "budget." If I go under I'll probably end up with more camera gear. Because one can never have too many expensive hobbies.

Pono Deluxe and the Opio line are both great options in that price range. You might want to consider having the tuners changed to Gotoh UPT if you don't like the hassle of friction tuners.

Sent you a PM.

If you like Magic Fluke the Fluke with a solid spruce or koa top, wood fretboard, side markers, upgraded geared tuners, and a case.

I have a spruce top Fluke with all that but the side markers. Spruce is bright so Koa might be a better choice for you. Oh I had the grip strips installed as well and eventually bought their strap. Not into velcro but once I put the strap on I have not taken it off. I've been very happy. It's not my only uke but it's my only concert uke.

Last edited:
If you like Magic Fluke the Fluke with a solid spruce or koa top, wood fretboard, side markers, upgraded geared tuners, and a case.

I have a spruce top Fluke with all that but the side markers. Spruce is bright so Koa might be a better choice for you. Oh I had the grip strips installed as well and eventually bought their strap. Not into velcro but once I put the strap on I have not taken it off. I've been very happy. It's not my only uke but it's my only concert uke.

Excellent suggestion. If you are ok with the non-standard looks of the Fluke (or Flea) they are excellent instruments. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the solid spruce or koa soundboard as the laminate ones are really good quality on their own. With the quite generous budget of the OP, I would get a laminate with a hardwood fretboard and maybe side dots. Even then it would be way under $500.

Kala has some very nice solid top and all solid ukes in your price range. I bought a solid cedar top/acacia laminate for my nephew and he loves it.

This one looks especially nice. All solid, sounds nice, in your price range, and set-up by HMS.
https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop...-solid-cedar-pau-ferro-concert-ka-ascp-c.html

Whole-heartedly agree. Purchased the baritone version of this Kala model (same soundboard, sides/back, slotted headstock, trim, etc.) from UkeRepublic. Sound is amazing and a flawless construction. Set-up was pretty good (some obvious wear on the nut and grooved saddle-I suspect it was a showroom model). UR provided free shipping, though. FWIW, even if you have to pay $20-30 shipping for HMS, their full setup is worth the extra and the wait. Still-it's a stunning wood combination and the build is really good.

Top Bottom