Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a New Concert in $500-ish Range

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

If you like Magic Fluke the Fluke with a solid spruce or koa top, wood fretboard, side markers, upgraded geared tuners, and a case.

I have a spruce top Fluke with all that but the side markers. Spruce is bright so Koa might be a better choice for you. Oh I had the grip strips installed as well and eventually bought their strap. Not into velcro but once I put the strap on I have not taken it off. I've been very happy. It's not my only uke but it's my only concert uke.
    Last edited by mjh42; 01-31-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh42 View Post
    If you like Magic Fluke the Fluke with a solid spruce or koa top, wood fretboard, side markers, upgraded geared tuners, and a case.

I have a spruce top Fluke with all that but the side markers. Spruce is bright so Koa might be a better choice for you. Oh I had the grip strips installed as well and eventually bought their strap. Not into velcro but once I put the strap on I have not taken it off. I've been very happy. It's not my only uke but it's my only concert uke.
    Excellent suggestion. If you are ok with the non-standard looks of the Fluke (or Flea) they are excellent instruments. Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the solid spruce or koa soundboard as the laminate ones are really good quality on their own. With the quite generous budget of the OP, I would get a laminate with a hardwood fretboard and maybe side dots. Even then it would be way under $500.

Kala has some very nice solid top and all solid ukes in your price range. I bought a solid cedar top/acacia laminate for my nephew and he loves it.

This one looks especially nice. All solid, sounds nice, in your price range, and set-up by HMS.
    https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-...ka-ascp-c.html
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    Kala has some very nice solid top and all solid ukes in your price range. I bought a solid cedar top/acacia laminate for my nephew and he loves it.

This one looks especially nice. All solid, sounds nice, in your price range, and set-up by HMS.
    Whole-heartedly agree. Purchased the baritone version of this Kala model (same soundboard, sides/back, slotted headstock, trim, etc.) from UkeRepublic. Sound is amazing and a flawless construction. Set-up was pretty good (some obvious wear on the nut and grooved saddle-I suspect it was a showroom model). UR provided free shipping, though. FWIW, even if you have to pay $20-30 shipping for HMS, their full setup is worth the extra and the wait. Still-it's a stunning wood combination and the build is really good.
    ::: Romero Creations Replica Tenor ::: Fender Montecito Tenor Koa ::: KoAloha KSM-10 Pikake ::: Kanile'a Islander MAPG-4-C ::: Kanile'a K-2 Super Concert ::: Kala KA-SSTU-SMC-C ::: Ohana SK-50G ::: Enya Nova U Concert ::: Kala KA-ABP-CTG Bari :::

I've had a tenor and concert version of this uke and love them. I really like a nice deep tone over the brighter spruce.

I've had a tenor and concert version of this uke and love them. I really like a nice deep tone over the brighter spruce.

Martin C1K all the way, the best out there in the price range.

Thread Information