Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Way to Bend with Steam

Default A Different Way to Bend with Steam

Though bending on a hot pipe has worked reasonably well for me, there have been some difficulties and frustrations, and so I've entertained thoughts of other methods and techniques. Laminating is something I yet may try, and steam is also a method that has appealed to me for some reason.

I didn't really plan on doing this (this past weekend) but one thing led to another and I seem to have a working prototype. I used materials and things that I already had on hand, but there is no doubt improvements could be made.

What seems to be working best is getting the piece steamed and bent on the device, then moving it to an outside mold and clamping with a caul. The steaming itself doesn't take long, the whole process about 15-20 minutes. Leaving clamped overnight results in some spring back, but just a small and manageable amount.

I've so far bent hickory and walnut. These pieces are .085"/2.15mm thick for a tenor size instrument. In my haste I forgot to trim the width of the hickory, so there was some curling at the edges, but that will be trimmed away.

Though I haven't built anything yet with the steam bent sides, I'm pretty happy with the results and cautiously optimistic. More consistent bends and consistency overall better than what I've yet been able to accomplish on a heated pipe.

I know most folks here can figure out how this works, but here are some photos of the actual bending happening.

Interesting. Just so I understand, goes the steam mainly emit from the holes down the center of the bending form?

Quote Originally Posted by Uke-alot View Post
    Interesting. Just so I understand, goes the steam mainly emit from the holes down the center of the bending form?
    Yes. I drilled the single row of hole to start, thinking I'd add more if it seemed they were needed. But it's looking like that is not the case.

For some reason, none of the photos show up for me.

I can't see them either
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Quote Originally Posted by resoman View Post
    I can't see them either
    I wish I knew the answer to this. I've had trouble in the past trying to link to Google photos. This time pics are linking to where they are hosted on Facebook. Seems like some people can see and others can't. Anybody know why?

I can see them... But it is easier to embed them in the post by uploading directly from your computer where they appear as thumbnails rather than using a third party like Google or Facebook. Make sure your posting permissions (at the bottom of the page) allows you to post attachments (images).

Uku art 8.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I can see them... But it is easier to embed them in the post by uploading directly from your computer where they appear as thumbnails rather than using a third party like Google or Facebook. Make sure your posting permissions (at the bottom of the page) allows you to post attachments (images).

Uku art 8.JPG
    Yes, I have all the permissions. I was actually trying to bypass uploading directly as I don't care for the smaller pics that result, but was hoping for a foolproof 3rd party hosting method that wouldn't create these problems. I guess I'll try something else next time.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Uku art 8.JPG
    Yes, I have all the permissions. I was actually trying to bypass uploading directly as I don't care for the smaller pics that result, but was hoping for a foolproof 3rd party hosting method that wouldn't create these problems. I guess I'll try something else next time.

Thread Information