Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Different Way to Bend with Steam

I bent the second walnut side last night and here is a pic to show the spring back (or lack thereof), with paper template inside. IMG_20200130_114352597.jpg
    Last edited by Brett S.; 01-30-2020 at 01:33 PM.

That is virtually no spring back. Like to see that... How are your perpendiculars? Sides 90 degrees to the deck?

I also started experimenting with steam bending, I built a steam box and a couple clamping jigs, worked really good. To me it was a lot easier than any other method I've tried so far. With the clamping jigs I can bend two sides at a time.

Yes. I just looked again. A very small amount of twist in the waist which only needs slight persuasion to correct.

IMG_20200131_111526714.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I also started experimenting with steam bending, I built a steam box and a couple clamping jigs, worked really good. To me it was a lot easier than any other method I've tried so far. With the clamping jigs I can bend two sides at a time.
    Yes, when seeing your post I was pretty convinced I'd try it one day.

I also use a similar bending method (sorta) and I always get some racking (twisting) of the wood. Correctable by clamping in a mold prior to gluing on tops and backs. I think this is one of the draw backs of steam bending because as the wood dries out it deforms slightly. The one thing to keep in mind though is that the sides need to be perfectly 90 degrees to the deck all the way around if you are going to put on binding because ultimately any deviation from perpendicular is translated into the depth of your binding ledge(s).

Quote Originally Posted by sequoia View Post
    I also use a similar bending method (sorta) and I always get some racking (twisting) of the wood. Correctable by clamping in a mold prior to gluing on tops and backs. I think this is one of the draw backs of steam bending because as the wood dries out it deforms slightly. The one thing to keep in mind though is that the sides need to be perfectly 90 degrees to the deck all the way around if you are going to put on binding because ultimately any deviation from perpendicular is translated into the depth of your binding ledge(s).
    I eliminated the twisting by making the clamping mold jig the same width as the width of the sides. The thing that I noticed is that the wood gets so hot that once it's in the mold it seems to dry very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett S. View Post
    I bent the second walnut side last night and here is a pic to show the spring back (or lack thereof), with paper template inside. IMG_20200130_114352597.jpg
    Are the sides you bent quarter sawn or flat sawn?

Thread Information